HybridZ

Is "It's a Snap" universal harnesses any good?

mull

bf_1_b.JPG

I found the ZZ-20 universal kit, and compared to Painless wiring's universal

18 circuit kit (priced at $310) it seems like a bargain - costing only ~$130.

And considering it's got 21 circuits - all the better. Not that I'll be needing

all those circuits anyway... : )

So... Anyone know if it's OK? Is Painless quiality really 280% better?

Let me know : )

if that kit has the same features as painless i say go for it. painless does do a good job with labeling the wires, providing a basic schematic and includes fuses. i ended up with painless on another project only because thats all i knew, now i would not hesitate to use a different brand as long as it came with something to reference to.

if that kit has the same features as painless i say go for it. painless does do a good job with labeling the wires, providing a basic schematic and includes fuses. i ended up with painless on another project only because thats all i knew, now i would not hesitate to use a different brand as long as it came with something to reference to.

The wires are labeled every 4 inches. I assume there's some schematic included.

Fuses - not sure. They're not that expensive anyway : )

edit:

Included:

• 20 Mini Fuses

• 21 Circuits

• Horn Relay

• 2 Flashers

• Dust Cover

sorry... got this companies price mixed with the painless name...I was looking at this one too.

http://www.hotrodwires.com/18Circuit.html

the 18 circuit kit is $219

my Dad talked with the owner and it is a one man business. He does all of the kit building himself.

Ah' date=' that's what I thought... No worries! : )

I just thought it seemed a bit weird that a guy who rolls paint, uses the curb

to work under the car, etc, etc, would pay just to get a "Painless Wiring" sticker

on the fusebox : )

Thanks for that additional link. Price is about the same as Summit's universal

18 circuit harness. It's [b']SUM-890020[/b] if you wanna check it out!

http://www.summitracing.com

Guest ZFury

$300 for a bunch of wire and a fuse box. :icon52:

sorta' joking... I may would get one if I was building a car from scratch. Still would shop around though.

doesn't surprise me on the amount. Can get the same amount of wire for $50, but you also have to think about that they used different colored wires ( can't just right the whole thing up with just black wires, but you can try:mrgreen: ), and then you have to throw in the connecters and such. Sounds about right for the price, but I'm pretty sure you can find cheaper (may not be the same quality though).

Ah, that's what I thought... No worries! : )

I just thought it seemed a bit weird that a guy who rolls paint, uses the curb

to work under the car, etc, etc, would pay just to get a "Painless Wiring" sticker

on the fusebox : )

ahaha yeah...I am pretty cheap. I did break down after having lots of problems with my home made ignition box and bought a low end MSD box to get me around town...soon to be replaced with a distributorless system. :-)

I used the "It's a Snap" on mine, and liked it. I think it lacks some of the finer details that Painless uses for specific applications, but for my situation, it was perfect.

Sounds good enough for me to use then : )

I am a proponent of using the original wiring.....

But.... I have rewired projects using junkyard fuse/relay boxes and using various connectors from electronics suppliers... You can purchase a wire assortment from some suppliers or you can raid the local stereo intall shop for a variety of colors in various lengths.... I have been a scrap pile wire scrounger on many occasions....

A rat ate the original wiring in my Z and made a nest in the heater core.

I wouldn't use a painless wiring kit. It's too universal in my opinion. I've installed one before and it works great, but when you have to tie into existing connectors like the windshield wiper, brake lamps, etc... it doesnt seem worth it to me to use their expensive kit.

If the kit came with all connectors for the Z wired in, I think it would be worth it... otherwise I would just wire the car myself. Besides, do you really need 18 circuits? Let's say you did. If you're loaded with enough goodies to use all 18, then I'm sure by the time you're done, the harness will be pretty confusing. I'm sure some of them will require relays, be powered on certain ignition positions and not during others, etc. It would be less confusing to wire each circuit by hand so that you can know that each circuit will do their proper function and you can wire relays into it.

The good thing about the painless kit was that I really liked the quality of the wire they used.