HybridZ

turbo safety relief valve

Guest TheGodfather

Guest TheGodfather

how do you install one in a 83 280zx turbo? do you need anything else besides the valve? and what do you have to get for a blow off valve also. and where can you get blow off valves, and pop off valves? any links? or suggestions?

The ZXT's already have Pop Off Valves and something that works as a BOV. No need to get any.

If you were using a different Intake Manifold, then you could go to HKS, Greddy, Blitz, Turbonetics and get BOV's (and have to drill and tap the intake for it). HKS has Pop Off Valves.

a POV and BOV are different things with different purposes...

a POV (pop off valve) is a valve at the rear of factory turbo L and Vg engines that blows open when the boost pressure reaches too high a pressure

a BOV (blow off valve) is to prevent backflow of air to the turbocharger when the throttle is let off.

Sssssssss! "He Stands Corrected"! LOL

In 1989, when I was rotating back stateside I got a smug Tech Sargeant who said almost the same thing. I was discussing a Blowoff Valve operation releasing air backpressure in the intake tract to prevent overpressurization and a turbo stall (surge) and he got this big all-knowing smile and stated "Funny, I always thought that was called a wastegate!" (you had to know the guy, it wasn't an innocent comment!)

I similarly corrected him, being it was time for my PCS, I was at my ETS, and he was basically a POS for the whole time I was stationed in Japan...Basically explained it in a FOAD way stating his thoughts were FUBAR and he didn't know HAFAHIG...

Nuff said for military acronyms!

A Wastegate controls turbine speed as a function of boost (or turbine backpressure in some cases).

A Popoff Valve is an emergency relief DOWNSTREAM of the throttling plate.

A Blowoff Valve is a relief UPSTREAM of the throttling plate.

It can be argued that the BOV can also be used as a POV, but in no cases will a POV be able to be used as a BOV.

In the above photo, it's showing and aftermarket BOV, the stock unit dumps into #4 Intake Runner and is of a non-adjustable design working on pressure differential instead of being vacuum assisted in opening. The one in the photo could also be deemed a "Compressor Bypass Valve" if plumbed correctly, whereas the stock unit in the Nissan Manifold is ONLY a BOV, and will never bypass the compressor, no matter what.

I digress...

In the above photo, it's showing and aftermarket BOV, the stock unit dumps into #4 Intake Runner and is of a non-adjustable design working on pressure differential instead of being vacuum assisted in opening.

That is my engine in the picture above. I thought there was no factory BOV at all on the L28ET. I had to drill and weld that pipe on the J-pipe to mount one. The vaccum hose is not hooked up in that picture.