HybridZ

5.0L 280zx progress update, lots of pics including pics of mounts

Hi alll,

i have been spending time on the z again recently as I just went on mid year break.

Here are some pics of what i have done so far. I no the pics of the mounts are long overdue as I promised some guys them ages ago.

heres the link

http://photobucket.com/albums/d34/s3079893/?sc=1

the photos are uploading now so maby give it an hour or so.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Once again I find other ZX with a steering setup different than mine...

I'll take some pics and post them to show what I'm talking about. With my rack's setup I should have more cross member clearence, but less width clearenece.

EDIT: Pics Posted. This is my first time attaching, so if it doesn't work they're in my member gallery. Notice that it sits just inside of the frame rail, but notice that on the underside there's lots of height clearence and it sits a few inches closer to the crossmember than the other power steering rack setups.

Ahhhhhhh, thats looks totally different. Im geussing that this is probably common for all left hand drive zx's but am not sure. For your info too my zx is 1983 (dont know if this is relevent).

From the pics it seems a swap for your car would be easier, i have to relocate a bunch of power steering pipes and modify the sump etc...

btw i like your signiture pic :>

I know one or two people are want to know whats the situation with the oil filter and oil pump clearance.

The oil filter will have to be relocated, to the best of my knowledge (for the mounts how i have them now) there are suitable relocation kits on the market, thay all require too much room. that means i have to make my own one.

The oil pump has just enough space to clear the crossmember but as i already said the power steering lines have to be moved (this could be different if you have a left hand drive car). Also i will have to weld up a totally custom sump.

In my opinion these problems can averted by positioning the engine more fore, of course your steering response would suffer abit as a result, but it would make life easy and to some extent worth living.

I believe there were some steering changes in the later years even in the LHD models. I know the turbo's had a different rack (or at least that's what i've read) and in 82 or 83 they made that rack standard (again, just what i've read, i'll have to find that source again)

Sounds like a fair amount of work yet to be done. I wish the best of luck to you.

Your paving the way for future swaps, so just keep it all documented for all of us to drool over :D

Oh, and thanks for the sig comment