HybridZ

Hybrid A/C

zeiss150

So I've been reading my A$$ off on A/C options and they are either really expensive or they suck. In the spirit of Hybrid Z I was wondering if anyone has tried to stick a small honda A/C system into a 240z. I'm sure some of you super geeks (no offence ment) have been thinking about this one or even working on doing it or have DONE IT. And please don't hi-jack this thread with the Honda blower mod, cause everyone knows about that one. I also know about the vintage setup. I'm looking for an A/C that I can lift out of a bone yard and with a small amount of fabrication hook it up to my 240Z... I'm listening. :burnout:

Matt-

The 280Z system is marginal in really hot weather. The blower is a bit under powered. I have an excellent stock unit and it was generally good to 90°F. I then heavily insulated the car and it is now good to 100°F but it takes it quite a while to catch up if the car is heavily heat soaked from sitting out in the sun.

The Kit that MSA sells looks like it has a special evaporator that hooks to the existing 240 blower box, the rest of the parts are all standard and can be taken off any 280ZX, (i.e. compressor, condenser, dryer, hoses and hardware). So if I were to take the evaporator and blower box of some sort of modern "compact car" and fab it into the 240 wouldn't that work just fine?

I have the stock (dealer installed) AC in my '73 and it's really only effective when driven at speeds above 30 mph. At idle there are two issues:

1) the stock engine fan doesn't pull enough air over the condensor to keep it the air in the cabin cold

2) in stop/start driving the underhood temp goes up and when the compressor kicks in, coupled with the carbs getting hot, the engine doesn't like to idle. You can increase the idle speed to compensate, which helps some, but that means that on a cool day you're idling around 1100 rpm.

Despite that I do think it's worth it. And if you can find a better solution for the evaporator under the dash I'd be very interested!

BTW, has anyone come up with a good (simple) way to increase the idle speed when the compressor kicks in on carburated cars?

Daniel' date='

Have you looked at the way they do it with the 280Z? You might be able adapt that system.[/quote']Phantom, no I had not. My efforts lately have all been outside the cabin and since my current system works, albeit not great, it hasn't made it to the top of the list.

I would be curious if the later 280z evaporator performed significantly better than the "stock" 240.

It's on the intake manifold balance tube. PM me for pics. I still have the original flat top carbs and N36 intake under my work bench. I'll be modifying this to work with SU's until I go FI and then turbo. You got to have a/c in Texas!

PS: Sorry for the slight highjack.

Who was it - Dan Juday? Perhaps some other old guy - who was either considering, or had actually started, swapping a 280 factory a/c into his 240. So far as I know they actually worked.
That was me - "old guy"? Ouch.

There are some random pictures here: http://240z.jeromio.com/ac.html

The 280 system doesn't bolt up as quick and easy as you might think. And the 240 dash is not super compatible. Most of the bolt holes line up - but not all. But it is a very compact system and it will fit. If I had it to do over again, and I may anyway, I would use an aftermarket system. I'm currently in the process of hooking up the LS1 compressor. And I bought an aftermarket condenser (the one that I got from the bone yard leaked like a s'ombee-ahtch).

Ziess150.. What are your high temps there? I have 240 a/c with an aftermarket condensor ( as close the radiator as possible and larger blower motor. High - is swtiched from a relay, L/M/H are all on a relay for +. Everything is sealed good. No air leaks on the evap box either. It is really good to about 100, ok to about 105 and above that it goes down fast. If I park in the sun at 105* for a while and try to cool it down, forget it though.

Sorry Jeromio, no offense intended =) I actually thought it was Dan doing the swap, and he's fun to torture a bit sometimes...

About the actual 280 condenser setup, I see what you mean about it being rather complex. Tell me, though, is it effective?

For your viewing pleasure:

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=8400&cat=500

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=8401&cat=500

Actually, I think I screwed up. I was drinking tequila when I took these pics. I don't think this is the part that idles up when the compressor clutch kicks in. I have it somewhere. I just have to dig it out.

Edit: I guess I was partially right. Here you go, both components actuate the a/c fast idle:

http://album.hybridz.org/showphoto.php?photo=8402&cat=500

And thank you Admin's as usual! You know why. Future updates are coming though....

I will try to downsize them in the upcoming weeks as time permits.

I'm polishing aluminum parts have you know... lol

Damn, edit again. If you need more pics, let me know. I've got more parts laying around then I know what to do with and I'm out of money right now. What else am I going to do with my time?

Thanks for the pictures Spotfitz. Looks like it's a vacuum solenoid. With my webers and their poor idle vacuum, I'm thinking I need to go with an electric. A parts counter guy suggested that early 80's Fords, such as their big sedans, might be a good source for it.

Sorry Jeromio' date=' no offense intended =) I actually thought it was Dan doing the swap, and he's fun to torture a bit sometimes...

[/quote']

ha ha :toetap05:

Ya know, if you don't do a search for your name on this site once in a while you'll never know when you're being disparaged.

All good fun.