HybridZ

ZX rear disc brake conversion

I am installing a ZX disc brake setup on the rear of my '77 280Z and have run into a snag. I bought all this from a private sale and can't get in contact with them. The emergency brake cable for the 280Z does not seem to have the same hook up method as the ZX. Am I missing some parts or is there a trick to this?

I believe there are some easy fixes for this, I think http://www.modern-motorsports.com sells a little adapter that will fit your cable end and the clevis on the ZX brakes. I think the fonebooth guy Mike sells them too. On my own car I used a 240SX ebrake cable. It was $10 out of the local JY and it was pretty easy to install. I removed the rear bell crank and ran the cable all the way up to the ebrake handle. It has some mounts that are integral to the cable housings, so I just pushed them up against the floor and bolted them on wherever they were out of the way. Worked great for years, then I finally took the ZX brakes off and sold all that stuff, My new new brakes won't have an ebrake function.

I think the fonebooth guy Mike sells them too.quote]

I forgot Modern Motorsprots doesn't have a phone numbe ron their wesite. I treid emailing them about something else and got no reply, thier lose I was was preapared that time to spend a bunch of money. Who runs a business with no phone? Who is fonebooth guy Mike?

Ross has a day job and does the modern motorsports thing on the side. The Z performance market isn't very big, so we should really be glad people like him do this at all. The other guy is Mike Gibson, and he used to have a link to Z and 510 racing parts off of the http://www.fonebooth.com website, I don't see it there anymore. I think his username here is scca, and I think he still pops up from time to time. Might try PM'ing him.

Mike Gibson

fonebooth.com?

Check this out.

http://forums.hybridz.org/vbgarage.php?do=view&id=8134

Modernmotorsports does a great job.

I have ordered a lot of stuff from Ross C.

If you have e-mailled him' date=' he will respond.

He is also a member here as well as in the vendor forum.

:mrgreen:[/quote']

It's too late for MM now, I went another way. The issue was ZX CV joints not fitting in my 280Z. I decided to just stick with the U-joints since my car will only be a street machine, not a racer and its been fine that way for 5 years. MM's stuff does look first class and was reccomended to me by my local performance garage.

• 1 year later...
i have a 82 280zx and i heard that a toyota truck caliper fits on the bracket but i was wondering if this is true and wat year toyota they come from

MyToyota 4runner calipers are for the front brakes, not the rear. But they were part of a kit, they don't just bolt on and I'm not sure what years you use. The 280zx is for the rear again not a simple bolt on there are changes you need to do for the e-brake. But a lot has changed over the last couple years. Swapping to 4 wheel discs is easier now. There has been a lot posted about this, it shouldn't be hard to find the exact answers by seaching further.