HybridZ

something in my valvetrain is making a noise!!! video inside!

I have no idea what the heck that is. It could be a piece of the camshaft oiler, but i think you already pulled the valve cover, and you would have noticed that.

I highly doubt it is a piston oiler, because the L6 pistons get their oil through a little hole in the rod right abve the bearing.

hmm...not good. I have already pulled the valve cover a couple of times...and I don't know how it would get to the oil pan from there. the camshaft oiler looks like thinwall tubing. This piece was made from a solid piece of metal. The end with the big hole was resistance welded onto the lower piece.

nope...that little part was not the cause of the noise...the noise was louder than that part could make. Plus I don't want to not oil something that is supposed to be oiled. I may drive the 30 or so miles to the local Z car junyard/service garage and see if they know what that part is. It looks like this thing in the haynes manual called the "crankshaft oil seal fitting" on page 28 at the bottom right. That is as close as I can get.

It almost looks like it would belong to a throttle linkage and how that would get into the oil pan would be interesting. Even through the oil passages it would appear not to fit, unless it fell through the timing chain area and you lossened up more than you needed to and it ended up in the pan. I am surprised I don't know what it is since I have had so many of these engines apart and put them back together. Maybe it is specific to a 260Z engine since that is the only one I have not worked on. I hope you post what it is when you find out.

It looks like this thing in the haynes manual called the "crankshaft oil seal fitting" on page 28 at the bottom right. That is as close as I can get.

The "crankshaft oil seal fitting" look like rods but they are actually rubber rings. One in front, one at the rear. The diagram just draw them in side views. I haven't seen anything like it. Either it is some unrealated part that fell in by accident or there is a ghost in heaven wondering where the grenade safety pin is.

I know! put up a reward for anyone who can identify it!

oh great...

Well my dad was saying that we could take my engine down to any engine shop and have it rebuilt for $500... I was like 8-O NO WAY!!! I don't want some V8 guy touching my block!!! Called the Z junkyard/service garage and they said $2200 to rebuild it to OE specs...right, like I want that...ordered info from Rebello. Looking at the three liter...270hp looks yummy. I think that nasty sound was coming from the #4 piston for sure. I'll get some more pictures up later.

thanks guys.

OTM