HybridZ

280ZX with VG30ET

Guest datsuncr

It's kinda hard to see in the pics, but did you have to remove the power steering or was it left in?

I'm considering the VG30ET swap as opposed to a 1uzfe swap since it's smaller, more likely to fit, and around the same price (if not a bit cheeper). Makes slightly less power than a 1uz and prolby isn't as reliable, but it's dimensions make it a much better cadidate.

Keep us updated on the project please.

Yea, that could be an issue for me. In cali if I get different headers I won't be able to legalise the swap as the headers have to be C.A.R.B. legal.

Would the motor be just plain too high in order to clear it, or are you just going for as low of a mount as possible?

Guest datsuncr

I tried to let the engine stay as higher as possible, but then the gearbox doesn't fit in the chassis.

The problam was that this VG30ET I bought comes from Japan (right side steering)

In California: Why does the exhaust have to the original? You're actually "installing a newer engine that might produce lower emissions" with proper headers & cat.

Doesn't the USDM VG30ET still have the turbo on the driver's side? I guess i'm worng but i'd assume the difference would be that the steering rack is different in the 300ZX.

I'll go look for some engine bay pics of stock 300ZX turbos to check what side it's on.

You can see in this pic that the angle of the input on the steering rack is totally different and isn't verdical like the on in your 280ZX

Click thumbnail to enlarge

bayprog1dc.th.jpg

I just went out to double check on my car but my ZX has a totally different power steering setup. I'll take some pics, and I'll try to get some time on a lift so I can get some decent pictures.

USDM VG30ET has the turbo on the left side (driver's side)

Makes slightly less power than a 1uz and prolby isn't as reliable

The VG30ET can make tons of power. Probably not quite what the 1UZ would be capable of... but they can definitely make more than enough for some fun.

Reliability... they are extremely reliable. Its very hard to break these engines and usually when you do, its from improper maintenance or when it comes to boost, poor tuning. Treat it right and the thing will last for quite some time.

It doesn't have any of those small issues like some other boosted engines have with headgaskets and the such. The stock crank is incredibly stout, the stock rods are forged, and the headgaskets are clamped down with 13 head bolts on each side. People have ran tons of boost on the stock headgaskets without issues. They are definitely, incredible engines.

mtcookson - Hp wise I was compairing stock vs - stock. I'd personally say the VG30 has MORE potential then the 1uz, beucase if you want power with the 1uz your limited to ALOT of part searching, where as with the stock VG30ET it's mostly turbo system mods within good taste.

I only mention the reliability issue from what I've heard. At my local pick-n-pull there's at least 2 new 300ZX cars a week, at a new turbo model at least twice a month, wich is the main reason I'm thinking about doing one of these swaps.

Due to these car's stout bottom I assume the problems people are having with them aren't major, and with how many there are around here it shouldn't be a problem replacing any parts.

Easier said than done methinks. Totally different crossmember to begin with, and then you have to consider that the steering linkage wouldn't work with this motor in a 240z anyways.

It'd be just as much work to make your own steering rack all together. At least it seems that way to me.

I actually swapped my recirc ball PS unit on my 1980 280ZX out for a '79 manual rack. although, I dont think you would gain anything in this case. The manual rack isnt that much smaller than the 82-83 PS rack. Its basically the same size and shape, just no hydraulic hoses.

I think a turbo relocation is the only way to go. what about swapping the manifolds around and putting the turbo up front with the crossover pipe going across the front of the engine? Sure, you;d have to run electric fans and it wouldnt be THAT easy, but def easier and cheaper than fully custom manis.