HybridZ

I have Scarab... I want JTR...

Guest Mike

I just bought an electric fan and water pump for my V8 260Z. They won't fit... not enough room. So I scoured the internet (quick Google search)... and voila... HybridZ popped up... wadda-ya-know:grin:

At any rate, I've discovered that mine must be a Scarab conversion because the engine is partially forward of the front axels. In fact, the center of the engine is just rearward of the axels. I know the benefits of the JTR vs. the Scarab conversion and I want to make this change.

Does anyone know what I must do... other than motor mounts and driveshaft shortening?

As was just noted above, the JTR manual will give you blueprints/diagrams for the setback plates, spacers, and tranny mount. They also give some other good information in there too. Reading and doing searches in the forum will also yield some great info.

Davy

As was just noted above' date=' the JTR manual will give you blueprints/diagrams for the setback plates, spacers, and tranny mount. They also give some other good information in there too. Reading and doing searches in the forum will also yield some great info.

Davy[/quote']

Thanks Davy. I'll do just that.

I just bought an electric fan and water pump for my V8 260Z. They won't fit... not enough room. [/size']

I have a Scarab setup in my 280Z. I am running an electric fan the center of which actually lines up just below the center of the water pump. I am running a short neck water pump, if your engine has a long neck pump you won't even come close to the fan fitting.

I have a Scarab setup in my 280Z. I am running an electric fan the center of which actually lines up just below the center of the water pump. I am running a short neck water pump, if your engine has a long neck pump you won't even come close to the fan fitting.

Thanks for the info, deja.

I think my water pump is a short neck too. I can only get the tips of my fingers between the back of the pump and the front of the stock timing cover. I would have to use a tiny fan to align mine as you have since the water pump is nearly dead-center of the radiator. A dual fan setup might work provided the center area is really shallow, or can be cut to allow clearance for the pump. I might be able to mount a thin electric fan and a Weiand electric water pump, but I don't think the Weiand will flow enough to keep the motor cool.

Until I can afford to scrape the $$$ together for all the driveline mods (including a JTR kit), I'm exchanging the elect pump and fan for a new Griffon aluminum radiator. I'm sure this will fit and will help keep things cooler for now.

Thanks Again,

Mike

I'll see if I can get some picts of my setup for you. It does look like it wouldn't fit with the bracket I made but since it mounts below the water pump center it fit. I am running a stock 280Z radiator too, if your radiator is thicker that might be the problem.

I'll see if I can get some picts of my setup for you. It does look like it wouldn't fit with the bracket I made but since it mounts below the water pump center it fit. I am running a stock 280Z radiator too, if your radiator is thicker that might be the problem.

Thanks deja,

This is all from memory... the center of the water pump is only about an inch off-center of the radiator. The pump is about 5 inches in diameter and the fan motor is about four inches. I would need to mount my fan about 2 inches lower than center of the radiator. The only way I can do that with a single-blade fan is with one that's too small to cool the radiator. As stated, I could probably use a dual fan with a very thin center. But I really want to mount the power-plant farther back anyway. I'll just put the electric conversion on hold for now.

Thanks again.

I have 4" from the radiator the front of the pulley, 7 1/4 from the radiator mount to the pulley. Fan shroud 3" thick and is bolted to the stock Datsun radiator. Fan stick out of the shroud about 1/4" there is about 1/2" clearance from the fan to the pulley.

fan-shroud.jpg

See if this helps

Scarab #154 (pic omitted)

Yep... this looks about like mine. Yours is much nicer though. Mine is not nearly as neatly done. Nice car!!

Why do you guys have so little room?

My engine bay looks empty in comparison...

I have a really thick radiator' date=' and an oil cooler up front.

www.angelfire.com/ny5/driftmiata/240z

edit: Actually, looking at them side by side, they aren't too much different.

Yours looks like mine regarding engine placement. What fans are you using?

I have 4" from the radiator the front of the pulley' date=' 7 1/4 from the radiator mount to the pulley. Fan shroud 3" thick and is bolted to the stock Datsun radiator. Fan stick out of the shroud about 1/4" there is about 1/2" clearance from the fan to the pulley.

[/quote']

Like dsommer and Datsun350Z, yours looks like mine regarding the space issue. I have plenty of room for a flex fan and mechanical pump. I just don't have room to go all electric. I might be able to squeeze in dual fans like Datsun350Z has and still use an electric water pump. But I think I'll just convert to the JTR kit. That's what I realy want anyway and it will give me ample room up front.

Like dsommer and Datsun350Z, yours looks like mine regarding the space issue. I have plenty of room for a flex fan and mechanical pump. I just don't have room to go all electric. I might be able to squeeze in dual fans like Datsun350Z has and still use an electric water pump. But I think I'll just convert to the JTR kit. That's what I realy want anyway and it will give me ample room up front.

My fan is electric. But I agree about going JTR. I am going that way too when I convert to my LT1 setup.

My fan is electric. But I agree about going JTR. I am going that way too when I convert to my LT1 setup.

Yes... I just think it's better to make any/all mods at once that will affect something else. I hate doing things more than one time unnecessarily. It takes extra time and $$$ I don't have to waste:rolleyesg Upgrading to an aluminum radiator is something I can change now that affects nothing else and I can use later... a win/win.

JTR setback postion of my 240Z' date=' black magic fan, camaro radiator (thin one core) would always recomend running water wetter, I think it really works!!!

[/quote']

No disrespect to any Scarab installs... I HAVE ONE:D But I want the benefits of a set-back install such as the JTR kit. Weight distribution is closer to 50/50, tons of room up front for fans, water pumps, etc. I just wish there was SOMETHING on this car I could leave as-is. All the things I need to repair or modify are going to cost me a ton of $$:cry:$$

I'll give Water Wetter a try... but I'll wait a few days until I install the new radiator:mrgreen: