HybridZ

BHJ Damper people - Honing bore of damper

24OZ

I just received my BHJ single pulley damper and it looks pretty good.

I went to fit it and it won't fit on to my crankshaft as the fit is too tight.

The instructions state:

"the internal diameter of the damper has been honed to minimum tolerances.... In many circumstances this will create an excessively tight press fit. Carefully measure your crankshaft snout diamater and hone the bore of the damper to give a .001/0.015 press fit"

Did any else have to hone theirs? It wasnt something i was anticipating. Any tips?

Thanks.

I've never used a BHJ, but I have honed several Fluidampers to get them to fit properly. Use some oil, and a little honing goes a long way. Make a couple of passes with the hone, the test the fit. Several passes at once could easily be too much- GO SLOWLY!

John

Thanks for the input guys.

Mine really won't fit though. I wonder if we are using different designs of damper? Mine is a single pulley.

I will most probably get a shop to do hone it, the head is off so will take the block with me and get them to measure the snout of the crankshaft, that way any error is down to them.

You have the single groove as well... Awesome...I have to thank LockJaw for the BHJ. He told me about them and when I stopped at his house he was able to show it off to me. I was hooked called Dave at rebello an ordered mine with the trigger wheel attached. Good idea to take the block for crank measure but why not just unbolt the crank? Would be easier to carry for sure...

posted by BRAAP

Which Fluid damper are you using to custom fit on the L-28 crank?

I've never used a fluidamper on a L-28, only chevys and mopars. Sometimes they are too tight to even start on the snout.

John

Terrible Suggestion I have, but....

If you SLIGHTLY heated the bore, it probably will slide on.

Or, if you packed the snout in ice (dry ice preferably), the snout will shrink enough to stick it on there.

Tight Fits Fight Frets! (Catchy Machinist's Slogan There) With that tight of a fit, though it would seem prudent to use some Molykote or other Anti-Gall lubricant to ease removal in the future. With .001/.0015" fit, or even a bit more than that you should be able to get it off using conventional pullers if you stick it on there with light heat on the bore and Molykote on the Snout.