HybridZ

Tested the CV upgrade last night

jnjdragracing

The new track will not open until August. So we were planning to go to Midlands drag strip Friday night, canceld due to rain. We did go Saturday night to Midlands. We did a awsome burnout and staged then we were flagged as the tree was moving down. Backed up and all hell broke loose, RAIN like a flood.

Drove back to the tralier and loaded it up and waited for the storm to pass. Then waited for the track to dry out. Weather in SC after storm is humid as hell. The track finally dries up some, watched a few cars run and then decided to give it another try.

Did another massive burnout staged and took off down the track with some ease to test the track. Had an oil leak at the base of the dizzy, cleaned iu and wrapped a towel around it. Made another pass a little harder to test the track.

All went fine, went back to make another pass, left hard still retarding the timing at launch, once it left we let go of the retard to put timing back at normal, then I guess with the hot humid weather the blower sneesed, had to get out of it. Went to get time card and noticed a fire under the hood. When the blower sneesed it caught the towel on fire and had to use a fire ext, to put it out.

How ever we did have a 1.34 60 foot. The CV upgrade held. Wanted to try a full launch not using the retard but it was not going to happen, another night.

I will look at the video footage today and see if it is worth posting. I think if we leave normal we should put down a 1.2? 60 ft.

Just wanted to post a update on the cv axle upgrade.

John

John,

Just out of curiosity, the small brackets that hold the rear lower control arm in, how are they holding up? I have read that with repeated hard launches, they start to oval. Some have had these brackets made out of billit aluminum to eliminate this problem.

I looked at the videos from last night, I went ahead and posted them to our website jnjdragracing.com, it is under the movie section labeled cv joint conversion. I did not catch the blower sneeze on video but you can hear it and also the track announcer saying to did you see that. Anyway the track was wet and we should of never have tried it but we wanted to test the cv joints.

John

Yes it made a mess, but that is how it goes, it burned the boost pressure line and melted some of the isulation off the dist. pickup wires. Nothing too bad, glad we had a fire ext. and my brother thought quickly.

cool' date=' should feel better about the CV's over the ujoints, don't you?

Sounds like 8's to me.

Those fire extinguishers make a mess don't they?!!![/quote']

hey Zgad, hopefully we will be launching the car with out retarding it at SEZ, should put down some 1.30 or 1.2? 60 ft. Which means 8's in the 1/4 mile.

Awesome guys!!

I'm glad to hear a so far so good on the CV's.

I look forward to seeing repeated hard launches and seeing how they hold up. :)

Doc, you packing yet?

Z hasn't moved. I need to go talk to him tomorrow, if something doesn't happen in the next month, I'm going to have to go pick it up and do it myself.

I hate to but this is getting ridiculous.

Won't have time to get that car ready for SEZ that's for sure. The monte is a different story though, wouldn't take long to get it going.

But in reality, I'm guiding a hunter in sept for elk, boy drew for deer in a coveted area up by colorado accessible by horseback only and he also drew once in a lifetime oryx hunt on the missile range and I used to blade roads there back in the '80's, so I doubt seriously I'll make SEZ unless I make bocoo dinero soon and then I'll just take the '33 dodge out there and give most of your 2wd cars a whoopin in the 1/8 mile with my 4wd !!!! Ha ha

Well, maybe your lucky number is "8"... as in SEZS"8", March 2007? But you're gonna be missing a good one this time. Z-Gad and JnJ will just have to do the 8's this time. Sounds like fun on the hunts though. Those opportunities do usually come up only once in a lifetime. (and to think that some people thought the "Dr. Hunt" meant something else)

John' date='

Just out of curiosity, the small brackets that hold the rear lower control arm in, how are they holding up? I have read that with repeated hard launches, they start to oval. Some have had these brackets made out of billit aluminum to eliminate this problem.[/quote']Matt, when I installed the CV conversion I removed the brackets (straps) and checked them out and everything looked great. we are using the poly bushings from energy suspension parts on the control arms and the mustash bar. (Sorry for the spelling errors). I am really amazed by how much punishment the stock stuff can handle. Thanks for your imput, Jerry