HybridZ

Best computer that is not Megasquirt

I will be putting an aftermarket ECU and sensors on my engine. I am not interested in Megasquirt, even though it is a fine product.

I have seen Haltech and Electromotive.

I also will eb forgoing the distributor route and will go with direct fire ignition.

The Tec3R is really nice, but at $2500 is a bit of change.

The Haltech offerings have me confused. I am nt sure which one would suit my needs, without corner cutting.

Does anyone have opinions on which Haltech is comparable to the Tec3r?

Anyone have any other ECUs they would suggest?

Thank you

Afew years ago at my local dragstrip I seen a 280z powered by a L(31)ET using SDS. It was a daily driver complete with his briefcase and rather large speaker box. He ran 12's and he seemed like that was the norm and never worried about electronic issues.

I'll be going with Megasquirt or SDS when I'm ready to upgrade.

I'm running SDS em3-F. Pricewise it slots right inbetween megasquirt and Tec-3 and has a direct fire coil pack option. Tuning is very straight forward. There are a few members on this board running this system.

The only drawback for me is that you use a little box for programming instead of a laptop. It is usefull because it's small but you have to scroll through all the settings to get to the setting you want. Not much of a problem once you get it dialed in. I also use a LM-1 to data log since the SDS is not capable.

Afew years ago at my local dragstrip I seen a 280z powered by a L(31)ET using SDS. It was a daily driver complete with his briefcase and rather large speaker box. He ran 12's and he seemed like that was the norm and never worried about electronic issues.

I'll be going with Megasquirt or SDS when I'm ready to upgrade.

LOL!

Sounds like my old 77 daily driver 280zt :-)

I have run the SDS and it worked flawlessly for me.

I have now run the Electromotive TEC II on both my L28 and now on my 2JZ and have had no issues with it either. If you can find one, the TEC II is a very capable unit. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the TEC3R, but you can get into one for under $1000 if you hunt around.

I have a TEC3 (everything but the ECU itself) waiting in the wings and will probably install it at some time, but my TEC II works great, so it'll just have to wait. If it isn't broke, don't fix it!!