HybridZ

Pictures of my ZX

280zwitha383

This is the beginning. I bought the car for $300 with a good drivetrain but no body parts. I thought I would strip it down and make a go cart of sorts out of it. Little did I know...

The_beginning.JPG

A guy in a nearby city told me that he was putting a 327 in his 240z. I traded him a junk Z for parts for my ZX, and thought all the while of putting a 350 in the car. I probably drove it for about a year when the clutch went out. Consequently so did the rest of the drive train. I had a 350 laying around so I started buying stuff and before you know it the oil pan was the only thing left from a complete engine. A semi-hot 383 resulted.

IMAG0053.JPG

I never liked chevy orange and this blue was about the only thing that struck me at the parts store. It's a lot darker in person.

IMAG0061.JPG

I bought a Victor Jr. with the 1" higher plenum. I was pretty sure it would never clear the hood but it didn't matter. I wanted one of the scoops with butterflies but this one was about $200 cheaper.

IMAG0508.JPG

Dumped the exhaust after running a single 2 1/2" pipe. Who knows how that'll pass inspection.:confused2 Gotta watch the speed bumps.

IMAG0509.JPG

I took the rear bumper out and trimmed the cover. Probably not the best thing to do since the gas tank is right there. Oh well, I've never given it a second thought... until now...

IMAG0511.JPG

And this is the car as it is currently. Boy does it get the looks. Even with the single 2 1/2 I got some pretty good stares but now it really gets peoples attention. I wish it didn't but I like the car the way it is.

IMAG0512.JPG

Possibly a black paint job in the future after I sand some of that bondo. I hope you enjoyed!

Good looking swap. So how does it run?

Well with the single 2 1/2" I ran an 8.1 @ 88 mph 1/8 mile.

My goal is to simply get it in the sevens and above 90 mph which I probably did with the exhaust because I can really tell a difference. I'm still running 195 walmart tires so there's plenty more left at the track I think.

• 3 weeks later...