HybridZ

Line Lock

Owen, the line-loc only works with the front brakes so I installed it between the m/c and the distribution block. I bought a 3' length of brake line and with a bender and flare tool, made all new lines. Despite being a simple device, it is not the easiest thing to install because I just hate working with brake fluid. In addition, there is not enough room to physically place it directly between the m/c and dist block, so I placed it forward of the m/c so that a 90* bend from m/c goes directly into the line-loc. Then I bent a gentle loop from the line-loc to the bottom of the dist block. Find a good ground and run the pos lead into the car and through a spring switch with a long toggle to a 12v source.

So, when you go to use it, press the brake pedal REAL HARD, hold the toggle, release the brake, hit the gas, release toggle when you got the tires heated up.

HTH,

Scottie

------------------

Scottie

71 240GN-Z

Scottie's GNZ

Owen

i too have a line lock.. great for heaten up teh tires;>>>> and i have mine installed pretty much idetically to how scottie says.... havent used it yet though... i would think its good to prevent roll on teh line when staging?

stony

I hear you Scottie...

I L-O-A-T-H-E brake work.

While a line lock looks simple and and is relatively cheap, there is alot more than meets the eye. The first, and biggest, concern is the fact that the Datsun was made in Japan. What does this mean? Well, most people who use line locks, use them on your typical American muscle car. Therefor, the manufacturers have catered to this crowd (and why shouldn't they) by making line locks with English thread sizes. It will bolt in just fine on a '69 Camaro, but a few adapters are going to be needed in order to get them to fit on a Z. It obviously can be done, but be prepared to make a few trips to your local parts store searching for those right adapters.

Second, the space between the master cyl. and the dist. block is only like 8 inches. Creativity during this part of the installation is very helpful.

Finally, I suggest getting a "lock" type push button switch and placing it next to the shifter somewhere. I prefer to have both hands readily available while doing a burnout. Having to hold down a button while warming up the tires was something I didn't want to worry about.

However, I must strongly recommend to hook this :lock" type switch up to a 12V ignition switched source. The reason all these line lock manufacturers supply a "momentary" switch is because a line lock should only be on for a dozen seconds or so. This is a very strong solonoid that heats up very quick. If the line lock is energized for too long, the heat from the solonoid de-magnitizes the solonoid and will greatly reduce the holding power of the one way valve.

Hope this helps, and good luck in your prusuit.

-Andy