HybridZ

Cutting out. Hot Fuel lines... HELP. Anyone...

I forgot to turn on my cooling fans the other day and was pegging the guage. :eek: Vapor lock is never an issue. Run a return style regulator, and if you have room, a phenolic, not aluminum, not plastic, carb spacer. Taking the time to run a good pump/regulator/lines allows you to work on all the other issues of keeping your Hybrid going. Vapor lock and fuel delivery won't be one of them.

I put an automatic fan switch on mine because of forgetting to turn on the fans. Haydon makes a simple one with a sensor that can be attached to the top of the radiator or inside the top hose. Use that in conjunction with a relay and a fused hot wire running off the battery or alternator direct.

I think my fuel starvation problem was mechanical since it is now straightened out with the new Edelbrock fuel pump. I will add a return line to my list for this winter. I can use the old Datsun fuel line that I did not remove.

Also, insulating the fuel is a good idea since they actually contact the stainless steel sheathed heater hose lines.

You can have it all.

You can thermostatically control your fans, automatically like you said (fixed temps On/Off engine block sensor) or adjustable set-points relay.

And it's also easy to wire a fan "over-ride" manual On/Off switch for those intense HOT days at the track, after session cool-downs. You can even wire your manual "over-ride" switched circuit with a time delay relay so if you walk off forgetting you manually switched them on, it'll shut them off after a period of time so you don't run your battery down.

Just ideas. . .

You can have it all.

You can thermostatically control your fans' date=' automatically like you said (fixed temps On/Off engine block sensor) or adjustable set-points relay.

And it's also easy to wire a fan "over-ride" manual On/Off switch for those intense HOT days at the track, after session cool-downs. You can even wire your manual "over-ride" switched circuit with a time delay relay so if you walk off forgetting you manually switched them on, it'll shut them off after a period of time so you don't run your battery down.

Just ideas. . .[/quote']

I have a manual override too, I don't trust anything that critical to "automatically turn on. The first temp switch I had on the engine died. I even have a dash light to tell me when the fan has power to it.

I agree with your critical function beliefs.

Considering all new generation LS V8 cars like Corvettes, GTOs and new Fords are all reliably thermostatically controlled (automatic On/Off) I would NEVER use any "after-market" equipment or set-ups.

I have also been spared the catastrophes from running "cheap" fans like alot of my friends that have lost engines, or had over-heating damage done. (Spal for me and OEM GM controls)

- Lee

I would NEVER use any "after-market" equipment or set-ups. (Spal for me and OEM GM controls)

- Lee

Sometimes a man just has to use what's available. My present setup is all after market (thats why I have the fail safe switch and light). When I swap over to my LT1 I will be using the stock Z28 setup.

I am not very impressed with GM "OEM." Their stuff is outsourced or built out of the country like everyone else.

I really like the Perma-Cool fan. It flows 2950cfm and costs a little over $100 depending on the diameter. Just watch your fingers for the metal blades.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I have a question,On a 77z which line is the fuel pick up? 3/8 0r 5/16,I've been having the same problem with fuel pumps psi just dropping off. The 3/8" is higher than the 5"16" on the tank.I have replaced the pump,added a inline filter,all new lines,cleaned and sealed the tank,added a return line to keep the pump cool and fuel flowing.I was just wondering if I have the wrong pick up line.seems that the larger one should be the pick up but it's higher on the tank.The old pump was a holly,and I replaced it with another holly.Same problem.I installed a walbro diaphram pump and it seem to work fine untill I let the car sit for about 1 year ,while redoing the engine compartment.I finished reinstalling every thing went to fire it up and had no fuel psi. The Diapram deteriated and filled the electric portion of the fuel pump with fuel,doesen't seem like a good design( fuel and electric)In the same compartment.I just bought a elderblock 120 fuel pump ,which I am installing,just wondering about the pick ups. 77 280 triple webers Mike

Hi I have a question,On a 77z which line is the fuel pick up? 3/8 0r 5/16,I've been having the same problem with fuel pumps psi just dropping off. The 3/8" is higher than the 5"16" on the tank.I have replaced the pump,added a inline filter,all new lines,cleaned and sealed the tank,added a return line to keep the pump cool and fuel flowing.I was just wondering if I have the wrong pick up line.seems that the larger one should be the pick up but it's higher on the tank.The old pump was a holly,and I replaced it with another holly.Same problem.I installed a walbro diaphram pump and it seem to work fine untill I let the car sit for about 1 year ,while redoing the engine compartment.I finished reinstalling every thing went to fire it up and had no fuel psi. The Diapram deteriated and filled the electric portion of the fuel pump with fuel,doesen't seem like a good design( fuel and electric)In the same compartment.I just bought a elderblock 120 fuel pump ,which I am installing,just wondering about the pick ups. 77 280 triple webers Mike

1) The lower 5/16 was the fuel line on my 74 Z before I added a new pickup at the rear of the tank by the baffle when the tank was cleaned. The other line would pick up if you had a pretty full tank. I wish that I had bought a fuel cell because when I recently changed the tank filter before the fuel pump, it was full of rust and corrosion again. That would have allowed me to run duals instead of a single 3 inch which is very loud.

2) I recently put the new gerator style Edelbrock using the stock fuel pump bracket cut out to allow clearance of the input and output lines. Looks like a factory installation now and no fuel delivery problems as I had with the Holley.