HybridZ

HF Automatic Compressor Drain Kit

It's been a couple of years since I installed this kit, and ever since, I don't have to worry about water in my tank - now if I can just remember to drain the three end of runs....

Actually, get this only when it is on sale - the Valve and the Tee are the only things I used in the kit - the rest of the stuff - compression fittings and nylon tubing was junk.

I struggled with trying to use the cheap nylon hose and just could not get it to work with the cheap fittings. I will avoid spending money whenever possible (do it myself if I know how, take more time to get it done etc)...But I right flat got pissed off at the crummy hose and fittings and had enough.

Fortunately for me, a 2 mile trip to Royal Brass & Hose had me set up with the good stuff, for about $8.

I had spent better than an hour trying to get the HF cheap crap to work, and with the new stuff it was all together in 10 minutes.

I haven't been able to locate a cheaper solution anywhere. I haven't been able to find a source for the valve, and I suspect that it's because I don't know what to look for, but for the price, I don't care - it gits 'er done cheaply.

When I mounted my compressor in the rafters of my garage, I just hooked a rubber air line to the tank drain and put a blow gun on the other end. Every day or so I actuate the blow gun to drain the condensate, and inbetween the rubber line makes a pretty effective drain tank. All I needed was (I think) a 3/8 NPT barb and a couple of hose clamps.

I'm charging the digital camera as I'm writing this, and will post pics later.

I have a Ranch style house on top of a basement, and the living area is duplicated down below.

I have a workshop in the basement, which is where I have the compressor, with air lines plumbed up to the garage and to the workshop. The air compressor is on a 30 Amp 240V circuit with the outlet in the garage for my MIG welder. The welder needs 19.1 Amps max, the compressor 15. I just don't weld when I'm running the compressor. The Husky 60 Gal. compressor is on CH's isolating pads, which gives me enough room, as you will see when I post the pics.

I just built a 2x2x4 ft blast cabinet which will remain in the basement shop area, and having the air power tools certainly was a blessing.

Before I start painting the ZXT, I'm going to add another drop with a retractable hose setup in the garage, currently I only have one outlet in the garage and one in the workshop, but they are located in areas for maximum use, and I'm using cheap HF hose reels (good hose though). I finally broke down and treated myself to a self-retracting setup that I will locate overhead in the middle of the garage.

Before I start painting the ZXT' date=' I'm going to add another drop with a retractable hose setup in the garage, currently I only have one outlet in the garage and one in the workshop, but they are located in areas for maximum use, and I'm using cheap HF hose reels (good hose though). I finally broke down and treated myself to a self-retracting setup that I will locate overhead in the middle of the garage.[/quote']

I have the HF hose reels and for the money seems to work great.