HybridZ

My new widebody V8 Z project

Alright this is very new for me. I am no stranger to high hp cars, but they have been a different breed. My last 3 where MKIV TT and Single turbo Supras. I have been wanting something different and have always enjoyed my Datsuns so I started looking for a boosted 240z and found this instead.

I will keep everyone updated on the progress and will take lots of pics as time goes on. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. The car is complete, but needs paint and the 383 stroker has been removed. Any suggestions on a new engine setup? It currently has a th350.

00514278104.jpg

a15.jpg

a6.jpg

a7.jpg

a5.jpg

a4.jpg

a3.jpg

a1.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ls1 is the best choice i believe and leave the wing on just luv them

Cut my first Wing down cause i thought it looked to big with no rear bumper but just found another old stock one the other week so im painting it and putting it on

Have fun

should I buy a new or used engine? I don't need 500+ HP in this car and would like a lighter engine and some that will be a direct replacement for the previously installed 383 to keep labor to a minimum.
LSx engines are great, but your not listening to this guys requirements. LSx engines will not be a direct replacement for an SBC, it takes a whole different setup. If you want a direct replacement stick in any SBC up to and including an LT1. If your on a budget, keep your options open and look around to see what you can find in your area. Get the JTR book if you haven't done so already, it will answer a lot of your questions including what to look for in a donor car or drivetrain.

Aluminum heads will keep your weight down for your lighter engine requirement. After that it just boils down to personal preferences...carb or fi, new or used, etc.

That doesn't look like a JTR setup...is that a Scarab mounting position?

If your not familiar with JTR, here's a link:

http://www.jagsthatrun.com/Pages/Datsun_Z_V-8.html

The JTR setup moves the engine further back and down than the Scarab mounting position. Did the previous owner give you a picture of how it looked with the engine installed?

Previous owner had the automatic, but left the clutch pedal in? That's odd, it's not really that hard to take out. I added one in to mine, since my car came as an auto. Looks like the clutch master is even still there...Was this a running car before he sold it to you, or did the guy get fed up during the build process?

It was a running car that actually won some shows in it's day... which was some time ago:)

Yes, it is a Jim Cook Racing bodykit and the WING is part of that kit. Think twice before getting rid of it. Anyone that knows anything about that car and the bodykit will expect the big whaletail/Porsche-style wing. It works both functionally and esthetically. Some cars just need a wing and that is one car that absolutely needs it. My $.02

Davy