HybridZ

LSX Crate engines

It's always exciting to see new toys arrive at Jeff's shop and yesterday was no exception. 5 brand new GM LS1 crate engines and a LS2 Blower, intercooler / manifold set-up for Cadillac XLR-V arrived at the shop. I'm getting numb from always being around a dozen or so Killer LS motors, while working on my Miata, it keeps giving me some really nutty ideas, like making me actually consider nitrous, turbos , etc. on my roadracing machine!!! eek.gif:burnout:

Within 20 minutes and 8 received phone calls, 3 of 5 engines were gone, poof ! Today's another day with 10 more coming. These motors are brand new, crate 2004 GTO LS1s, really sweet. It amazes me how popular these motors really are ( I suspect Ford's new aluminum mod motors probably are too in particular Mustang circles)

Got my own wiring harness, PCM and MAF yesterday too and helped Jeff wire and fire up a guys new $70,000 LS1 Sandrail. Whew, standing two feet away when those jet-coated header's 4 inch outlets come to life!! I'm finally starting to get excited about the possibility of hearing my own LS2 Miata fire up for the first time.:rockon:

My own dang car's not even finished yet and I'm running a tape measure to see if I could actually fit the Cadillac's XLR-V blower set-up under my stock Miata hood, I must be truly SICK!! cool.gif

- Lee

They are brand new GM crate LS1s, 2004 GTO complete with intake, throttle body, injectors, fuel rails, coil packs, wires, water pump, exhaust manifolds (GTO) and flex plate $4350.00 + shipping to your location, or you pick-up local Arizona.

Jeff can answer all of your more specific questions (480) 577-9413

Tell him you talked to Pop!

- Lee

They are brand new GM crate LS1s' date=' 2004 GTO complete with intake, throttle body, injectors, fuel rails, coil packs, wires, water pump, exhaust manifolds (GTO) and flex plate $4350.00 + shipping to your location, or you pick-up local Arizona.

Jeff can answer all of your more specific questions (480) 577-9413

Tell him you talked to Pop!

- Lee[/quote']

LOL, I wish! Just curious.

Duh!

That's why they sell so fast. I can't believe the number of goofy people that are perfectly willing to pay close to the same kinda price for some used, greasy LS1 outta a wrecked Camaro or Trans-am. Advertised in the local paper, complete with the story, dude I'm sure it's only got about 40,000 miles on it.

This guy Jeff Howard is my son-in-law. He's the owner of Howard Performance in Gilbert. His specialty business is LS engines. He packages engines, headers computers, wiring harnesses, adapters, clutches, everything for successfully installing an LS V8 in anything (example, see my Miata)

He is plugged into GM and sells hundreds of motors. He buys engines in "lots", like all GM dealers do. This an individual buy, exceptionally good price on about 12 engines, 5 sold just since I posted.

To good to be true? If you're actually ready to buy, instead of sitting around guessing, why don't you just call him, his company has a great reputation and he can answer all your questions, e-mail you pictures what-ever. Or you can sit around and speculate while opportunity passes you by.

- Lee

LS2 Crate Engine HP e-mail copy_thumb.JPG

No, it's cool to question, and it is $1145.00 less than Scoggins!

We all benefit in tech forums when we help each other out. A class example is like upgrading your brakes. Get the right info from the right people in a good tech forum and your car can be made to outbrake a Corvette and still keep a $1000.00 in YOUR pocket.

Have a great week-end!

- Lee

Guys, Guys, just call the man! Jeff Howard (480) 577-9413

He does a lot of LSX specialty engines (custom LSX engines for $100,000.00 sandrails, see pics) and can provide complete, designed documentation including engine test cell, dyno sheets on your new, custom tuned engine package, but, know up front custom engine services ain't cheap. He also owns a polishing company called Mirror Image.

If your objective is somewhat like mine, to install a "stock" LS crate motor and re-programmed OEM computer/wiring harness in your Rice Rocket on a budget, he can do a better job of packaging for you than anybody.

Recognize though that you make a "quatum leap" when you jump from just a plastic wrapped stock LS crate engine, shipped "as is" to a custom built & tuned, 700-1000 HP twin-turbo LSX! I can tell you right now, ball-park you're talking about $24,000.00 max, maybe a little less. Custom built, dyno-tuned computer, wiring harness, engine test cell verified performance, ready to go.

You can get away with doing minor mods like slapping a little "pre-engineed" Nitrous set-up (fogger) on an LS motor but beyond that it's really crazy to think about Turbo and Supercharger applications without doing everything right. You know an analogy, would be like installing an extreme, high lift cam without changing to high perf valve springs. Save some intial bucks but end result; BANG!!

Call and talk to him, he's a really smart guy and can get you a great package for YOUR specific project and budget.

- Lee

Howard Performance_thumb.JPG

Twin Turbo LS1_thumb.JPG

LS2 Miata_thumb.JPG

I think I mentioned about everybody, everybody including GM guys buying GM crate engines in lots (10, 20, 100). They all get various pricing due to quantity and production availability and model (LS1, LS6, LS2, LS7 etc.)

The price differences we all see as end user / customers is mostly whether any of the engine sellers decide if they want to "pass along" their buying advantages or continue cutting a Fat Retail Hog.

In their defense there are legitimate fluctuations in production / availability associated with model year and platform changes (there are significant differences bewteen a Corvette LS2, a GTO LS2, and a Cadillac LS2 besides price)

Just thinking out loud

I used to help Jeff find and buy "Salvage" LS engines from 98-up Corvettes, Camaros, Trans-ams, primarily with T-56 six speed trans for "Street-rod" or "Toy car" conversions. It was a pain, even a great mechanic is hard pressed to be able to tell just what the "REAL" condition of a used motor/tranny combo is. Some were good engines, as advertised, others were "boat anchors".

Every single guy we ever encountered claimed the motor he was selling had less than 40,000 miles on it. It truly was a roll-of-the-dice. You used to be able to negotiate a reasonable enough price that it was maybe worth the risk. But now every knuckle-head that has ANY used LS V8 thinks he has a Gold Brick to sell. that makes spending a little more money to buy a brand new crate engine a lot more attractive and a smart move.

We quit the whole used LS engine thing all together and everybody is a lot happier, period . . .

I don't know all the particulars of his business, but I know his friends and associates are really well connected in the GM scheme of things.

Many months before the release of the very first Corvette LS7s we went to Jeff's tuner / engine developer and in his test cell he already had 4 crate LS7s he was tuning and selling months before any GM dealer in country had even received one single motor.

Jeff also took me to an engine builder's shop around the same time and he had dozens of complete LS7 heads, new in the box and hundreds of LS7 Titanium rods and was at that time, custom building LS2s resleeving them and adding LS7 components, heads & intakes.

I don't know I just feel lucky to have access to just about anything, cutting edge GM I want really reasonable.