HybridZ

engine removal f-body

Ok guys need some advise. I have a 95 pont firebird with front end damage, radiator and support removed, eng runs and ready to remove for a little freshen up, timing chain and water pump then into my 76 280. Its a lt1 t56. The manuals say I have to lower the front suspention to remove. Has anyone removed by normal method, pulling out of the eng bay with an eng hoist? Keep in mind there is nothing in front of the engine. Can the engine and trans be pulled as one unit? I know some one on this great sight has tried. Thanks for all the help..

I can help you with this one. I just did the swap out of a '94 Firehawk. I cut the radiator supports so that I could get in there and then took the whole thing out as one piece, with the hoist hooked to the motor and a motorcycle/ATV jack under the t56 to give support. I know that you probably know this, but just double check that you've pulled/disconnected all of the wires, especially the clutch slave cylinder. BTW, when you take that out (the slave cylinder) the easiest way that I found was to disconnect it from the clutch pedal, remove the whole assembly together without disconnecting the cables (which will mean you have to blead the cylinder, etc.). I had a friend help. Also, don't make my mistake - I did everything else by the book and forgot to drain the tranny which dumped fluid all over the garage floor.

Other than that, it's straightforward....

Bartman? Guys? EvilC?

Hope this helps...

Bryan

Dat240zg

some tools are just so darn useful in some applications...

http://store.cyberweld.com/spec375cut.html

spectrum-375-chart.gif

sum-g1021_w.jpg

not quite as good as SEX ...for bring a grin to your face... but alot more helpful when removing an ENGINE from a DONOR car WRECK ,when you don,t give a crap about the condition of fenders/supports/ETC.

remember to keep a CO2 fire extinguisher handy, support all transmission,and engine parts, linkage, lines, don,t forget to check all the clutch, fuel ,ignition,and coolant lines are disconnected, and only cut thru the minimum nesessay, the object is to quickly/easily remove the engine, NOT to destroy parts someone else may need, even if you intend to scrap the remainder of the car

i used a metal cart, a chain and a dixie chopper to remove mine. jacked up the car, removed the bolts for the cross member etc. lowered k member onto a cart, jacked car up and used the dixie to pull the cart out from under the car

• 3 weeks later...

Engine is out! We ended up using a sawzall to take out the radiator support, and took the engine and tranny out straight through the front with the balancer. It was a pretty straightforward removal with nothing in the front to get in the way. Here is a pic of the motor

DSCF0032.JPG

I got it for the tow bill from the impound yard after a friend totaled it and walked away. LT1 T56 only way to go is complete car with the harness and all. After I got the 95 firebird and the rust free 76 280z for $1500 I found this site, does look like I got real lucky. Going the JTR route, will be a winter project. This site has all the information you'll need. Oh yes plan on double the budget, things add up quick! Lee

Engine is out! We ended up using a sawzall to take out the radiator support' date=' and took the engine and tranny out straight through the front with the balancer. It was a pretty straightforward removal with nothing in the front to get in the way. Here is a pic of the motor

[img']http://album.hybridz.org/data/684/medium/DSCF0032.JPG[/img]

It's so much easier when you can destroy the car. I love taking Sawzall's to them, but a plasma cutter would be fun too.