HybridZ

The new wheels are here, the new wheels are here

Of all the things to skimp money on' date=' I would never EVER skimp on tyres. They are so ridiculously cheap in the states, get the best stickiest buggers you can. They could save your life.

Dave[/quote']

Must be nice to have unlimited funds, but I'm not there. Skimping is a relative term, I don't plan on using crap tires, but I'm not going to spring for $150 a pop tires either. I have no plans to race this car, just building a daily driver with some punch and character. BTW super sticky tires are not necessarily safer, race style tires are not designed for street use.

Woops' date=' forgot to mention, I did have to trim the bottom area off the valance where the front tires pass while turning the wheel to the left and right...

The front tire rubs that area (stock lower valance arch) with larger wheels and tires.[/quote']

Is your car sitting lower than stock? I'm not running coil-overs...yet.

235/45-17's will probably work, but most manufacturers of that tire size do not recommend you install that wide of a tire on a 7" wide rim. Your contact area to the pavement will probably be smaller than what you would have with a narrower tire.

Read Brad-ManQ45's post in this thread:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=112952

According to his data 215's, or maybe even 205's, give you the best performance on a 7" wide rim.

235/45-17's will probably work' date=' but most manufacturers of that tire size do not recommend you install that wide of a tire on a 7" wide rim. Your contact area to the pavement will probably be smaller than what you would have with a narrower tire.

Read Brad-ManQ45's post in this thread:

http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=112952

According to his data 215's, or maybe even 205's, give you the best performance on a 7" wide rim.

Damn Bart, every time I think I have this figured out, you keep giving me more data, LOL.

I'm currently running 215/55-16 tires (26" diameter) and they are very close to the fender in the front and, with 0 offset, I actually had to 'clearance' the inside of the fender lip in the rear to keep them from rubbing. A 225/55-17 would be even taller and wider than the 16's. I think you'll be in for an unpleasant experience if you go that tall. You need to keep your tire diameter down around 26" or plan on doing some significant body work.

I'm currently running 215/55-16 tires (26" diameter) and they are very close to the fender in the front and, with 0 offset, I actually had to 'clearance' the inside of the fender lip in the rear to keep them from rubbing. A 225/55-17 would be even taller and wider than the 16's. I think you'll be in for an unpleasant experience if you go that tall. You need to keep your tire diameter down around 26" or plan on doing some significant body work.

Thanks. Yeah this thread has probably saved me some major grief. Sometime math will lead you astray, better to ask someone who has been there. I'm now looking at 45s and probably dropping to 215s or ever 205s with the 7" wide rims.

BTW your car looks awesome.

Just Got some tires (BFGoodrich G-Sport 225/45/17 ) :mrgreen:

Mounted1.jpg

Mounted.jpg

These pictures are with the car at stock ride height acording to the FSM data.

I lowered the coilovers to there lowest position and its much better

( camera batteries went dead , I'll get pictures tomarrow)

, but there is only 1.75" of strut travel left and thats without bumpstops. so It looks like I will be sectioning the struts , and the wheels seem a bit to far out, so I will have to get 1.25" or maybe even 1" adapters.................More $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

boy these mistakes are starting to get expensive......:cuss:

Just Got some tires (BFGoodrich G-Sport 225/45/17 ) quote]

Interesting. What is the measurment from the ground to the bottom of the body (bottom of the just in front of the rear wheel? My car is stock height and it is 7 1/2" with 235/60/14 tires. According to my calculations you should be just short of that.

Here is the car withe the coilovers at midpoint , and with coilovers at at lowest setting, where I would like it to be.

Before_After.jpg

Before_After_1.jpg

Here are the before and after measurements to the top of the wheel well (same measurement at all 4 locations)

Before_After_2.jpg

I had lowered the car before I saw your post , but at the lowered position the car is 7.5" to the flat on the bottom of the rocker in front of the rear wheel ( parallel to the ground not the spot weld flange) so it must have been 8.5" before.

Here is the strut with the car lowered , the other side has the bumpstop installed and it is sitting on the bumpstop.

strut1.jpg

I took the spring off the rear strut and jacked the wheel up, this is with a 1.5" adapter.

1_5spacer.jpg

I took the rear brake rotor off (it it .25" thick so it would be the same as a 1.25" adapter) and remounted the adapter and wheel and jacked it up again ,

1_25spacer.jpg

still hits the lip , I think I will have to get the 1" adapters to have it fit correctly , the FSM has the wheel with a 15mm offset, close to the 1/2 inch extra I have.

FSM_TIRE.jpg

So where is a place to buy BZ3099 struts at a good price?

Well so much for all the advice we read here before about 1 1/2" adapters and this size tire. I don't have my 1 1/2" adapters or tires yet and now I have no clue what to get for tires. I am running stock struts and didn't plan on lowering it. I guess I may have to rethink all this. I do have two 1 1/4" adapter if I have to go that way. My plan was to "fill" the wheelwell more than I have now, but if the tires stick out too far that isn't going to work. I'm so confused, LOL!!!!

Deja , If your not going to lower your car and have 1.25 spacers and full length bump stops ar even trimmed a bit , I think you will be fine, my problem is I'm lowering , and have to keep my bump travel without hitting , at stock height you should hit the bumpstops before the tire hits the fender. of coarse this is just from my observations, It seems that things that work for some wont for others. :icon45:

note this all assumes that a 225/45/17 tire and 17X7 +40 offset wheel is used.

Deja ' date=' If your not going to lower your car and have 1.25 spacers and full length bump stops ar even trimmed a bit , I think you will be fine, my problem is I'm lowering , and have to keep my bump travel without hitting , at stock height you should hit the bumpstops before the tire hits the fender. of coarse this is just from my observations, It seems that things that work for some wont for others. :icon45:

note this all assumes that a 225/45/17 tire and 17X7 +40 offset wheel is used.[/quote']

The adapters came last night. I bit the bullet and decided on these tires. They have to order them, I'll let you now how it works out.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/findTireDetail.do?cs=215&pc=28745&rd=17&ar=50&tc=FALHH3

Just a thought 78zlt1, to gain a little more tire clearence you could increase your camber, provided you have camber plates?

Unfortunately I don't have camber plates, I was able to return my adapters and exchange them for 1" adapters, should be here by next weekend I hope.