HybridZ

What do you guys think of this Z

Guest TegRacer324

Guest TegRacer324

Well with my rusty Z I have been looking around at others considering that it'll probably be a good 5+ years before I got mine done. I found this one in VA and I just happen to be going right there on vacation this sunday. Just wondering what do you guys think of it? He wants 2500 for it, it's from CA and then AZ and he drove it back here from AZ. I'm thinking about going to look at it but some people already have part of the money down and has been for a while so he's looking for someone who's going to take it. Would you guys get it for 2500?

Here's a couple pics, for more go to my photo gallery. (Also, he says it's all back together right now and it would make a drive to CT from VA so he's gonna try to get his wife to snap a few pics tonight)

260z01.jpg

260z07.jpg

260z09.jpg

260z10.jpg

260z12.jpg260z13.jpg

260z11.jpg

Also what would you guys definately look at when I go to look at it? This is kinda a one shot deal so I kinda need to determine pretty quick whether I'm gonna buy it or not.

Looks pretty solid to me, hard to tell what's under that undercoat, but it looks pretty good. Look at the front frame where the t/c rod mounts, I've seen those rust out here in Florida, and that's no good.

Also the underside of the hatch (not a deal breaker, new hatches are out there). I'm amazed by the condition of that battery compartment...

That battery tray does look remarkably clean(a true Z prone rust area),and a heck of alot more there than mine!:icon56: Depending on what you're doing to the Z,(daily driver,total resto,srip it and race it,etc.)I'd look into getting the entire car dipped or media blasted.I've been blasting mine in sections w/ a portable that seems to work pretty good.All in all from the photos,it seems you've got a pretty solid one......bastard!:mrgreen: Good find!:2thumbs:

Guest TegRacer324

Well I haven't been down there to see it yet. I'm tempted to tell him that I will take it and will have a check on sunday when I get there as he said he'd tell the other people to you know or get off the pot if that's the case.

Plan would be a V8 swap around 400hp and probably fender flares and some other body work. Getting it sandblasted and then undercoated would probably solve any rust problems in the future correct?

It looks pretty good, but $2500 sounds like a lot of money for what you're getting. Maybe Z's without much rust are worth more on the right coast, I would think something like that would be around $1000 here in Southern California.

Z's like that went for more than $1000 in CA when I bought mine there 18 years ago. Hard to believe they got cheaper in all that time.

Looks promising. Go look at it, but don't make up your mind on it until you see it. Be prepared to leave empty handed if everything isn't as it seems.

On the east coast, 2500 bucks for a solid 240z is a good deal. Try for les but I would buy it just based on the battery tray area. You can get another cowl.

Check the floor boards and the rockers. If they are good, get the car for sure even if he won't come off the 2500. If those places are solid, and you don't want it, I'll come up and get it this Sunday.

Guest TegRacer324

Also a quick question what's a good way to make sure they are solid? Poke at them with a screwdriver and tap around? I know it's late in the game to be asking this, but I want to be safe rather than sorry this time around.

Poke at the frame rails and floor boards with a screw driver and use a magnet on the rockers and anywhere else you suspect filler over rust or body damage.

Check the rockers from underneath the car, from the rear wheel well. Rust likes to start back there and eat iinto the area where the rocker meets the rear quarter panel.

Good luck!

Where in VA is the car? ;)

it seems to be in decent shape...floorboards may look like surface rust but once u take the sound deading material from the inside and underbody coat off you start to find rust spots...makes u wish u never took if off in the first place...

fyi offer him $1500 and try not to go over $2000 car seems to be worth at least 1800 thats what u should shoot for!

Guest TegRacer324

Hmmm yeah I didn't want to carry cash down with me as I just wanted to bring a cashier's check down there written out to myself, but I guess I should probably bring cash so I don't have to settle on an amount right now.