HybridZ

240z turbo

gjc5500

im gonna turbo my L24. im staying with carbs, so no efi. i was thinking about this turbo

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-T4-T04E-Turbocharger-A-R-50-stage-3-Turbo-Garret-St_W0QQitemZ180019435034QQihZ008QQcategoryZ33742QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

but iw as wondering if that could be used like a sts and mounted at the back of the car. im gonna make all the mounting brackets, exhaustintake piping, ect. is that a good turbo for that engine? do i need to go bigger/smaller?

That turbo will last you about 15 miles, maybe 20 if you're really lucky. If you want a t3/t4, get a used Turbonetics one. They're pretty cheap comparitively speaking, and good quality. I saw a used one that was freshly rebuilt by Turbonetics, then they decided to get a bigger one, for $300. I got a rebuilt one with 5k on it for $225.

You get what you pay for when it comes to turbo parts.... why do you think it's cheap???

And I imagine you've heard this before, but if not... it's not as easy as "slap on a turbo & go."

Do you have a turbo exhaust manifold? Wastegate? Oil feed & return lines? Turbo oil pan w/ turbo oil return?

And not undermining your ability to engineer, but if you're asking which turbo will work, do you also understand the risks of turbocharging a stocker non-turbo engine? Do you understand that when you increase boost pressure, you increase compression ratio? Example... you run 10:1 CR na engine, and add 8psi boost, you'd be somewhere around 14:1 or 15:1 CR... will a stock engine handle that? You will certainly shorten the engine life....

Don't forget to tune your carbs for more fuel.... if you add more air, you must add more fuel....

Have you thought about all these things?

Don't forget to tune your carbs for more fuel.... if you add more air' date=' you must add more fuel....

Have you thought about all these things?[/quote']

Another minor detail, SU's aren't the best choice for a turbo application.

HTH

chris

i was just saying that style, not that particular one. i wont put moving parts on my car from ebay (leaned the hard way)

and i thot about all of that. i was just wondering if it was too samll or big for the l24. i know that u have to drop ur comp ratio b4 u add a turbo, so im going w/ low comp head/pistons. while i have the engine apart im gonna replace the whole shaft, pistons, con. rods ect. with turbo parts. i know that i have to increase fuel.

and which is better to do, ive seen it 3 ways: carbs>turbo>intake mani, turbo>carbs>mani, turbo>carbs in a sealed box(saw it on a link on zcar.com).

and can u mount ne turbo like a STS? i know that u have to run a seperate oil pump since its such a far distance.

For a cheap and simple turbo you could use a stock turbo exhaust manifold, stock turbo, stock wastegate, stock down pipe, stock oil feed and drain lines. Then install one carb on the front of the turbo and fabricate a throttle cable. Finally build a connection from the turbo output to the stock intakes. This will consist of some kind of box connecting the two intake with a round input hole for the boost pressure. All thses parts can be found at a pick-n-pull or orders from the web. I get used T3's for 40.00 at the junk yard.

A stock T3 will make plenty of power on a 240. However, in a draw through system the turbo will need a carbon seal since gas will be flowing through the turbo. Any turbo shop can do this for you.

Gas flowing though the turbo acts like an intercooler which is nice but will have problems to operate under 50 degrees ambient (outside temp).

Fnally, lock the mechanical advance in the distributor and set the timing to 24 degrees. Use the vacuum advance normally, the boost pressure will shut it down.

They built kits like this for the 240 many years ago. I believe the kit also used water injection to prevent detonation. But I think locking the timing at 24 will do the same thing. I'm pretty sure a stock 240 would run 14.0 in the 1/4 mile with a T3 turbo and one SU carb.

Maximum Boost by Corky Bell is a good read on turbosystems and he covers a lot of old school stuff. Draw thru and blow thru carbs are discussed as well as all of the basics in depth. IMO it's not the turbo "bible" some make it out to be, but it's worth reading.

chris

There are blow through side draft Webers Z on the road and kits were made for them years ago. The simplest way is the draw though set up. I would look at getting a Jag SU for this, it is the largest SU made.

As previously stated you are not going to be able to run a lot of boost on this set up due to the 240s compression ratio. Turbo’s motors run low CRs to get all of fuel possible in the engine, the turbo adds the rest of the CR.

You might want to look up supercharger TR6 on the internet this is another option in lieu of a turbo.

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=37880&SortOrder=1

is there a pdf of it avalible? i dont have the ability to buy stuff off the net and have no ride as of now to the book store.

I really doubt there is a pdf of Maximum Boost.... It's not a short book.

Blow through is better than draw through. And it's just SO MUCH EASIER to find a complete L28ET, than to search out all the needed L28ET parts one by one. Save yourself from the headaches of "one by one" part buying, and the endless "trying to tune" carbs.

i dont wanna do a full swap cuz all the vins match as of now, and to swap is gonna b a lil more pricey. seeing as how im still in high skool and cant get a full time job, im trying to go with the cheaper of the 2. also, will a L28 turbo exhaust fit on a L24?

Honestly I think that doing a full swap will actually be cheaper in the long run. I got my donor 280zxt for about 700. And like the other guys said, you will have everything you need that way. you can always pull the l24 out and store it if you want to keep the matching numbers to sell it later. For that matter, the people that value a car with matching numbers probably wouldn't appreciate you bastardizing the stock engine like you are planing on doing.

As far as the question about the exhaust manifold, that all has to do with which head you wind up putting on there. Some have round exhaust ports, some have square.