HybridZ

help ...carb???

Guest 75blue260z

My '78 280z has a carb on it, so its possible, Sho. Anyway, from what I know from what you said, all I can say to the question of it just needing the carb cleaned out is, maybe, maybe not. Not very much info to go on. I know that when I got my car, the only reason it would start, but wouldn't stay running, was because the fuel lines were cracked. I replaced those, and sent my carb to my grandfather to rebuild for free, so I don't know how much it'd cost to repair. He lives in California, though. What kind of Carb is it? He has a "shop," maybe he can repair it for you. (for a (decent) price most likey; i'm family, so I got it free. lucky me. :P )

from what you've said about it starting, then dieing, you might check to make sure the fuel lines are intact as well.

It is a second generation 74 260Z. The early 260Z had small bumpers and the second generation had the big bumpers. Look at the plate on the door and see when it was made.

My z started as a second generation 260.

It is a second generation 74 260Z. The early 260Z had small bumpers and the second generation had the big bumpers. Look at the plate on the door and see when it was made.

My z started as a second generation 260.

looks like a 260z 2nd ...are u getting the title for the car? also when he started it up did he use starter fluid?

not a bad find...all the dirt on it makes it a dimond in the rough

i"m not sure how that would work...Some states are stricter than others...some allow just a bill of sale for the cars to regsiter the car...call the DMV to find out...but this is the least of the worries....rust is what u should be looking for...

FYI: if you have 8 grand y not buy a z in better condition?

it's a manual.... i know it is junk now but 8 grand ( what im wiling to spend on looks and engine) can make it look nices so im not worry about the look...im just worry about getting the paper work

I think you'll have to fill out a "statement of facts" for the DMV and you'll have to pay some reg fees, but that's about it I believe. As long as it does not show up on the computer, I think you're OK. Does it have a rear license plate? I'd get some kind of sales receipt from the guy who sells it to you, just to show the DMV in case they ask. It's a '75 so there should not be any smog check required and the car looks decent despite the dirt & grime. If worse comes to worse, you can part it out for much more money than you bought it for.

Davy

Have we completely ruled out that it's a 1st-generation 260? Sure, the bumpers are second-generation, but what about the indentation in the front valence panel, which seems a natural fit to receive the old-style bumpers? Check underneath the car; do the frame rails terminate shortly behind the firewall, or do they extend quite a ways back? If the former, then it should be a 1st-generation 260, like a 240.

And are the VIN numbers the same on the firewall (near the brake cylinder booster), the dash and the riveted plate on the driver's-side door jamb?

In any case, sounds like a good find!

I have a 75 280Z and i have fuel injection and the build date on the driverside door jamb is 12/74. As far as i know there was an early version of the 75 280Z with small bumpers like the 240Z. I have never seen a 260Z with big bumpers like mine. Check the build date on the door jamb by the driverside and see what kinda build date it has and see if you can ascertain if the motor or carbs came with the car.

I have a 75 280Z and i have fuel injection and the build date on the driverside door jamb is 12/74. As far as i know there was an early version of the 75 280Z [/b']with small bumpers like the 240Z.

Err, not for the US from all of the information that I have read---where did you read this or hear about this? I think this is interesting although I rather doubt it. Perhaps a Canadian model would have had it this way?? You never know. They made the 260 for years in Europe after discontinuing the model in the US.

I have never seen a 260Z with big bumpers like mine. Check the build date on the door jamb by the driverside and see what kinda build date it has and see if you can ascertain if the motor or carbs came with the car.

I had a early model 1974 260Z with small (240Z) bumpers. The car was essentially a 240Z with a 2.6L engine. The later 1974 260Zs came with 280Z bumpers because the cars themselves are essentially 280Zs with a carburated 2.6L engine. The 280Z models which came right after that in the US were all fuel injected.

Davy

Err' date=' not for the US from all of the information that I have read---where did you read this or hear about this? I think this is interesting although I rather doubt it. Perhaps a Canadian model would have had it this way?? You never know. They made the 260 for years in Europe after discontinuing the model in the US.

I had a early model 1974 260Z with small (240Z) bumpers. The car was essentially a 240Z with a 2.6L engine. The later 1974 260Zs came with 280Z bumpers because the cars themselves are essentially 280Zs with a carburated 2.6L engine. The 280Z models which came right after that in the US were all fuel injected.

Davy[/quote']

Sorry, forgot to mention the one i saw was in the Philippines, i do remember it being an early 75, it may have been a modified import because Z cars weren't sold there only imported by a select few enthusiasts. But i do remember it was a 280 with small bumpers because only the U.S. had the big safety crash bumpers that started in 75 (or early 260's). Sorry for the confusion.

Sorry, forgot to mention the one i saw was in the Philippines, i do remember it being an early 75, it may have been a modified import because Z cars weren't sold there only imported by a select few enthusiasts. But i do remember it was a 280 with small bumpers because only the U.S. had the big safety crash bumpers that started in 75 (or early 260's). Sorry for the confusion.

Ah, now that makes sense! I think they carbed most of the cars that went to Asia and Europe. Thanks.

Davy