HybridZ

Problem with fuel pump, HELP!

Ga_Z

I have been searching patiently for several weeks now but I have not found an answer doing searches. So I finally decided to post. I have a '76 280Z, owned it since '83 and it has set for almost 2 years now. I finally starting getting some time to work on it but now I'm stuck.

When trying to get it started I noticed my fuel pump did not come on. Purchased a used one and tested it before installing it. It worked fine. After putting it on I still get no fuel. I found the thread(s) on the fuel pump relays, they all have been checked and are good. I tried diconnecting the oil pressure unit, didn't work. I tried the trick with the AFM, didn't work either. I have also checked the connection ar the hatch, seems OK. Anyone have any ideas? I am at a dead end.Thanks

- Do you have sparks

- Do you have fuel

- Is you timming OK

If you have those 3 your car should run !!!

Is your pump working? You seem like you have tested out of the car, does it work in the car? Maybe some connections are bad...usually that is the problem

Dayz

The spark is good. Have plenty of fresh fuel in the tank. have not checked the timing yet but I'm not getting any fuel through the lines and the pump doesn't come on like it should so I think the timing would not matter at this point (?). I did test the pump out of the car. I have thought about running a wire from the battery to check it but that would not really tell me anything. I may try to check the wiring this weekend, see where I am getting a current to. Agravating!

If you still have doubts about the pump or the relay, you can always make them work by simply running a wire from the battery directly to each component and by pass the ignition and the computer.

When I had an MSD fuel pump it was easy to tell when it was on because it was so loud. The old Holley one are just as noisy but the stock Nissan ones aren't so easy to tell they're on from inside the car.

Hey GA_Z,

Good luck with your problem...these things kind of work them out with trying components one at time. Can you tell if your getting gas to the plugs? I'd pull one plug out and smell if it's getting fuel. And also trying some ether (but be careful!!!).

Btw, where at in GA are you located?

Z-man

Update, got the pump to going (finally) but I'mm still not getting any fuel to the engine. I'm going to try to blow the lines out, maybe they're plugged. If thats not it I'm thinking that the pump may not be able tp pick up fuel from the tank.

Does anyone know how the pick up system from the tank works? Is it a rubber or metal line, etc. Any type of filter on it? Any info appreciated.

If you blow the lines out, make sure that you disconnect the rubber hose in the engine compart ment that goes to the fuel filter-or you could blow all that gunk right into your injectors. Just because the pump makes noise doesn't mean its working-make sure its pumping gas out of the pump. It will still make noise if its running in reverse.

I'm going thru the same issue with mine. It had also sat for 2 years. My injectors were also sticking along with the fuel pump and had a clogged fuel filter. I occasionally have to jump start the fuel pump with a booster box to get it to "wake up" for a testing session then it'll work fine the rest of the day. Fuel filter was really restrictive so that was changed. The injectors were also not working so I jump started them as well. I just used my booster box with a paper clip (I know it's not the safest) and supplied power till they were all clicking and working again. It now runs but very low pressure. I'm checking the tank and possibly the regulator.

hey GA_Z, I had a similar problem in my 74 260z with carbs. The car sat for 5 years with half a tank of gas. I even got the gas tank stripped and re sealed. It did not help any...

I took a bicycle shift cable and pulled the center cable out of it and flared the end to make a little wire brush. I cramed it down the output tube on the gas tank until I knocked off the little screen on the end of the tube. I now run 2 fuel filters to catch any gunk that comes through. I had removed the fuel pump and reworked it but it was not coming on. I just ran a new wire with a switch on it so I could manually control it. Once the tank was clear and the pump was working I got excellent fuel pressure.

It is a carb system but your EFI could ave a similar problem.

hey GA_Z' date=' I had a similar problem in my 74 260z with carbs. The car sat for 5 years with half a tank of gas. I even got the gas tank stripped and re sealed. It did not help any...

I took a bicycle shift cable and pulled the center cable out of it and flared the end to make a little wire brush. I cramed it down the output tube on the gas tank until I knocked off the little screen on the end of the tube. I now run 2 fuel filters to catch any gunk that comes through. I had removed the fuel pump and reworked it but it was not coming on. I just ran a new wire with a switch on it so I could manually control it. Once the tank was clear and the pump was working I got excellent fuel pressure.

It is a carb system but your EFI could ave a similar problem.[/quote']

I'm glad you posted this. I thought of the same thing (about the tank), that is why I asked. I thought I might hook a hose to the pump to go into a gas can to make sure it is pumping out. If it was then I could blow out the line. And if it didn't then, well I wasn't sure. So is the pick line metal with a screen?