HybridZ

Can I use this for shaving bodywork???

jacob300zx

Thanks for the reply. I went ahead and got it. I just couldn't pass up the deal I got. I ordered the gas less mig, helmet, spare tip, wire, 3 pairs of tin snips, leather welding apron, and a grinder. All that for 151.95 after shipping. After I called our local welding supply and they quoted me 550. for there cheapest welder it made the decision all the more easier.

Jake

yeah flux core is going to penetrate a lot more than regular MIG welding. The best gas for bodywork would be argon as it would penetrate the least and be the smoothest to weld with. Co2 penetrates more than argon and then flux core is more than that. It should work for tacking stuff but be sure to clean off all of your slag before you tack again near the weld.

Jake,

If you're going to use this for bodywork, I recommend getting some strips of copper plate to hold behind the sheetmetal you are working on. When held against the back of the sheetmetal, the copper will act as a heat sink, helping to reduce blow-through. Also, your welding wire shouldn't stick to it.

Jake' date='

If you're going to use this for bodywork, I recommend getting some strips of copper plate to hold behind the sheetmetal you are working on. When held against the back of the sheetmetal, the copper will act as a heat sink, helping to reduce blow-through. Also, your welding wire shouldn't stick to it.[/quote']

This is a good idea and I want to add that the cleaner the area the better off you'll be and the less cleanup you'll have to do later.

• 1 month later...

Ive been using that welder around the house for about a year now, works great. I even used it to patch the rust holes in my Zs floors. No, its not the prettiest job, but nobody will see it when Im done. Ive also used it to tack a few bigger jobs, then take the pieces to work and use the big mig there to finish off the job. I did find out that the .035 wire likes to bind up unless the lead is almost perfectly straight, I changed over to the .030 wire and tips and havent had that problem since.

good thing you told him before he got it, i just now saw this post. i have the step up from that welder and damn was it a waste of money. it sputters, burns through everything if it will even penetrate the metal. some days it'll work alright for a while then just take a crap on me.