HybridZ

Asplundh - The Tree Mutilators from Hell!

Phantom

These folks advertise themselves as tree trimming experts - Bull!!!

They are an international organization that specializes in trimming trees away from power lines.

In my area, Texas Enery (TXU) has hired them to clear their easements. These guys are the butchers from Hell and have absolutely no regard for the homeowners or the health of the trees they are trimming. My neighbor behind me had a 40' tall Live Oak - one of the most beautiful trees in the neighborhood decimated. They cut the main trunk off just about 6' off the ground and left limbs standing in a 'V' shape. They did this during a drought when then temperatures have been running in triple digits for weeks.

My wife freaked when she saw this and denied them access to our property, contacted TXU, and had them send a representatitve out to evaluate the status of the lines on two sides of my property because one has a huge sag in it that will eliminate the need to trim on that side if the sag is eliminated.

Today the Asplundh area supervisor was at my house and, to put it mildly, he needs to be beaten within an inch of his life and taught some manners and how to respect women.

ANyway, I have now tallked with Asplundh, and several people at TXU. Asplundh has been told by TXU to back off until they get done adjusting the one line. I have also requested a site visit from their Vegetation Management group and one of their arborists. TXU has received a reward from the national Arbor Association every year since 2001 for their work in tree preservation while keeping their lines clear and they're proud enough of it to mention it prominently on thier website. AS a result I have also contacted the National Arbor Association and asked them to check into it.

The Asplundh guy should not have dissed my wife.

Get 'em!

Now I'm glad TXU blew me off. When I bought my lot, the trees in the easement were already well-tangled into the elevated lines. I contacted them to give them a heads-up about the situation. In response I got a cranky phone call and a snotty email. So, the problem remains.

Hope you don't like those trees Pete. When these guys get to your neighborhood their charter is to clear a 10' radius around the power line if it's a feeder line. If it's an individual service line they only have to clear 3-5'. Think how much of the trees will be left if they come down 10' on them.

I've lived in my home over 20 years now and this is the first time they've come through. I've been told they're going through the entire DFW area.

Be advised that may not save you. Legally a tree trimmer cannot touch a tree within 10' of a powerline. TXU will actually send their own crews out and do the trimming for you so no one gets electrocuted. The problem is that, in my experience, their trimming techniques are very similar to Asplundh - just not quite as aggressive.

Ugh. Considering TXU/Oncor just got snarky when I called, I've finished talking to them.

Sounds like you're pretty deep into this. Good luck with the arborists. A buddy who manages large construction projects has told me that arborists are not to be messed with. A building inspector could be a PITA, but an arborist could ruin his week.

Maryland is going through the same thing. They actually bulldozed trees along several major road ways rather than trim them. Agent Orange could not have done a more draconian job.

But I have to say, a few years ago we suffered from regular power outages that lasted days at a time. Since they started their tree genocide campaign we have not had a single power outage (knock on wood).

Name your poison I guess.

I wish you good luck because TXU and whatever tree contractor they have working for them have been doing that for years. They leave full grown trees looking like a giant letter "Y" because to them, that is tree trimming. There have been cases also in other parts of Dallas where they have done that. It's sounds like it's become worst ever since they got de-regulated because there is more finger pointing. Maybe it's time for you to call channel 4 and talk to Saul Garza.

I got an email last night from a guy with the National Arbor Foundation asking for photos. I'm hoping that if TXU feels their annual Arbor Foundation award is in jeopardy that they'll get more proactive with Asplundh and get things under control - well - maybe at least for my house?!? :D

Why doesn't the city just bury the lines in the ground? It's the best way IMO. Many old neighborhoods out here have actually removed the above ground lines and have new ones buried. No mess' date=' no smell.

Davy[/quote'] They do it at the new developments but in the old neighborhoods it's cheaper to cut, hire a P.R. firm and hire lawyers rather than bury it. :toetap05:

Buried utilities are nice but not perfect. I live in S. Fort Worth and with the drought my power line is sinking and pulling my meter off the wall. TXU just gave me 10 days to fix or they shut the power off. So here I sit waiting for the electrician to call back. Maybe if I hook a Z up to the line I can pull it out some??

TXZ1956 - Use the tried and true Texas solution - run your water hose on that location very slowly for a couple days. You ovbviously have expansive soil (clay) and it has dried out and sunk. The water will cost less than the electrician and it will also help reduce settling cracks on your walls & brick veneer.

Everyone - Evidently my combination TXU delaying action and National Arbor Association Diversion are paying off. Asplundh has been put on hold temporarily for my house which has allowed my trees to get some much needed rain and for the heat to break which will reduce the stress any trimming would put on them. I also got a visit from a TXU supervisor this morning and they are going to remove the pole that is in the corner of my back yard and replace it with a taller one but put it in my neighbors yard where it will be more easily accessible for them. NOt only does that get the pole out of my yard :D but it pretty much guarantees they'll be able to lift the line running down the back of my yard high enough where the trees there won't need to be trimmed. :D :D Plus, it should lift the linee running down the side of my yard higher which will reduce the amount of trimming required there. :D :D :D I've also generated so much interest/concern that I'm pretty confident that any trimming done will be held to a minimum to preclude follow-up photographs being sent tot he National Arbor Asociation and jeopardizing the award TXU is so proud of.:rolleyesg

Phantom,

Your neighborhood is on tv on channel 8, they were doing a story on what you were complaining about. But when the TXU reps saw channel 8 cameras, they took off and sent a P.R. person out. They really did a hack job from the pictures i saw.

Phantom

Too late to try soaker hoses...getting ready to drop $8k+ on my foundation. I like your style though. I already have a complaint in with TX utilities commision. I just reason that since it was their feeder line causing the problem I should not pay...we will see. July the 4th I had all my sewer lines back up and I believed it was due to the streets I live on (corner lot) being reconstructed. City balked and said no way. Then said maybe and they would get to it in about 3-days. We called the EPA and told them that the city (not Ft. Worth BTW) was knowingly contaminating the water table. Had a crew out the next day (Sat) repairing it. Turned out during the construction they did not hook my house up to the new mains.....morons. Not that I complain much...but when I believe I am right or have nothing to lose, why not. Been lurking here a while. Damn Z bug bit again and hopefully this fall and spring will start on my 77Z that has been in my garage for 10 years. also gave my 71Z to my son. He is in Germany presently and we have budgeted 10 thousand to get it in pretty good shape.

TXZ1956,

Dude - I feel for you. I've fought the expansive soil battle for 20 years in my current home and so far have managed to avoid having the foundation jacked. The good news is that a good company can take care of the problem permanently.

I'm in the process now of a job hunt and hoping to get far-far away where it is cooler and dryer - well - cooler anyway. I've had interviews in Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and next week in Washington. Geographically Washington is my first choice but the jobs in the other locations are all ones that I could enjoy doing. Guess I'll see who makes an offer and how good it is.

Just hope I still have some trees in my yard when it comes time to put the house on the market.