HybridZ

Best radiator?

I have searched this site but can't find any real input as to which radiator will do the best job cooling a v8 such as the LS2 I am about to start swapping into my 78. Who's is best? Johns? JTR? MSA? Aluminum? Brass tanks? Plastic tanks? I'm also interested in weight savings.

Thanks

Mike

Unless you want one that bolts right in, a generic fit aluminum radiator can be had fairly inexpensively and will do the job nicely. Check out www.summitracing.com. The "Be Cool" brand radiators are supposed to be very good quality. I'm running a generic fit Summit brand radiator on my '68 Camaro and it has worked fine for a couple of years now.

Here is the Al radiator that I used in my 77 280Z 6-568AE-BAX. This radiator has the tranny cooler builtin so it cost more. If you have an M6 you can get the same one without the tranny cooler and it will be cheaper. The measurement for this radiator is 25 3/4" X 19". Fit the 280 perfect with about 1/8 each each side to spare.

There are several radiators that will work well, but that is just one part of the cooling system. The fan and shrouding play a big part in keeping the engine cool as well. I've got a massive custom Be Cool radiator in my camaro and it did a marginal job with an electric fan rated to 2300 cfm and no shroud on a hot day.

I have a much smaller arizona z car radiator in my 240 with a taurus fan that's rumored to pull over 3500 cfm that does an excellent job with a condensor and tranny cooler in front of the radiator.

The other day I was charging up the ac with the car idling for quite some time and the high speed part of the taurus fan kept the engine at 190 degrees. Mind you, it was about 105 degrees out that day.

Here is the Al radiator that I used in my 77 280Z 6-568AE-BAX. This radiator has the tranny cooler builtin so it cost more. If you have an M6 you can get the same one without the tranny cooler and it will be cheaper. The measurement for this radiator is 25 3/4" X 19". Fit the 280 perfect with about 1/8 each each side to spare.[/quote

What brand or catalog are those #'s from?

LS1 radiator is apparently just a thinner version of the LT1 radaitor, supposedly they have the same dimensions in everything except for width.

i belive it was SLP that was selling a "heavy duty LS1 radiator" that was just an LT1 radiator with some plugs lol