HybridZ

JCI LS1 mounts need help.

Went out to my garage and complete the mounts into the car tonight. The result was much better. It wasn't that bad. Yeah my fault for not reading carefully. Time to paint the engine compartment and all the mounts get ready for the motor to go in this weekend. Thanks again for the pix Lason.

Should be able to start this car up in a week or 2.

Vinh

Motor is in. Not too hard at all. Everything went in smoothly. I would definitely recommend JCI LS1 Kit. The only thing I didn't use are those nutserts for the tranny mounts. I drill all 8 holes thru the frame rails and used nuts and bolts. Feel a lot more secure that way then using those nutserts. They look really weak to me and they are very easy to spin after installed.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2079260/8

Vinh

If/when I do an LS1 Z, I definitely will make my own mounts or use a motor plate. I just don't like the looks of the JCI kit. Besides, they should NOT be that hard to install, especially considering how much they cost. This reminds me of their SBC install kits, overpriced and S**t for quality. I hope I don't offend you guys, and I wish you the best of luck on getting your LS1 Z's running.

I have the JCI mounts in my car. I don't consider myself a professional mechanic. I consider myself a novice. That being said, I had absolutely no trouble installing the JCI mounts. I did read the manual several times before I started. I will agree that the manual could be more clear but the design of the mounts, especially the drivers side, is well thought out and is much stonger then the original Z mount. The design incorporates a plate that goes in between the frame rail and the crossmember that covers the original Z motor mount tower and adds addional strength to it. Then the JCI mount slides inside the original Z motor mount tower. The 2 pieces sandwich the original Z mount and make it twice as strong. The way it ties into the T/C rod housing adds even more strength. The only grinding I had to do on the drivers side was to grind off a little piece of metal on the t/c housing. My mount was able to slide right into place with no hammering. Everything lined up perfectly and bolted up fine. On the passenger side, I did have to grind off a boss on the block as mentioned earlier in this post. I did have some trouble getting the bolt through the motor mount on the passenger side but after a few trys I decided to put the passenger side bolt in first and then I got the drivers side in witout too much trouble.

I Have put over 5000 miles on my car since the swap, including several track days, autocrosses and 1000 mile road trips. I still highly recommend the JCI mounts. They are stong, well designed and they place the motor in the right position for the trans shifter to come out in the stock location.

Sure you may be able to design and build your own but there is so much else to do on this swap and the JCI mounts only cost $300. If you are doing an LS1 swap then you know this is not a budget swap. $300 is a fair price for these. The time savings alone are more then worth it.

If you want to get your car off the jackstands and on the road sooner, the JCI mounts are the way to go.

MAS280 built his own mounts for his 240Z LS1 swap but when he built the 280Z LS1 for ULISES, he used the JCI mounts. Vinh switched from home made motor mounts to JCI.

I have been enjoying my LS1 240Z for over a year now and I must say that this is one great swap. I really love 3rd gear. It pulls so nice. Nothing like blasting from 50 to 110 in 4-5 seconds.

The power to weight ratio is awesome.

Quit knocking the JCI stuff and get your LS1 Z cars on the road. When it is all done you won't even see the motor mounts in the car. Do you see them in this picture?

On_the_Road_240Z_LS1_and_510_godbye_053.jpg

Jbk240Z,

Thank you. I hope it will turn out nice too.

David,

Nice talking to you again. I talked to Dave from NY after I talked to you. He is using aftermarket gauges. I will need some help from you to get info on the water temp sensor and fuel pressure sensor. I've seen how DaleMX or Phantom adapt the Datsun oil pressure sensor in the stock hole. I think I can achieve this also but I don't know what to do about the water temp sensor. I will probably try to get a bung in the radiator somewhere to hook up the Datsun water temp sensor. I will use the aftermarket speedo and tach for my friend's Z. Please let me know if you have any info on the water temp sensor.

About the JCI mounts, after I got everything in I think it is a really well design kit. The motor is sitting very low. The motor is sitting a little forward because I assum he wants the M6 sticks right thru the stock hole. For the maunal trans car you can definitely try to get the car sit further back. Hey look on the bright side you have plenty of room between the fire wall and the engine to install the brake lines and fuel line back when the motor is in lol.

I have made my own mounts and now I am using the JCI mounts. I would highly recommend the JCI kit. Not only that you can get the JTR headers and they fit without a problem. On my other project I had to find my own headers to work with my custom engine mounts. Any question please shoot me a messgae. Thanks for viewing this thread.

Vinh

Vinh-

I'm really enjoying the details you are posting with your pic's. I am almost ready to start my LS2 swap. Everything is on the way, I am picking up the engine/trans this weekend. Things were going well till some numb-nuts backed his 4X4 onto my hood yesterday. So now more paint work again. Oh well, have to paint the engine compartment anyway.

Mike

Mike,

Keep checking page 8 on my homepage. I put everything on page 8 for my friend's swap.

Got the car running this past Saturday. Here is a video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDTTHLnHkv4

I also received the radiator that afternoon. We installed the radiator and electric fan today. I should finish up the radiator hoses tomorrow after work. Hope I will receive the sidepipes by tomorrow so we can finish the exhaust up before my brother going back to VietNam. After that just hook up the gauges and some small stuffs and I am done with this car. Here is a picture of the radiator installed.

2079260_228_full.jpg