HybridZ

Bottom alternator bolts keep coming out!!

SU'dCrazy280

Ok, so as you may or may not know, I am running a built L28 in a '76. I keep having to put new bolts in on the bottom of the alternator where it connects to the block. I have used loctite, and wrenched down pretty hard to keep them in place, then after awhile, (usually a couple weeks) the belt will start squealing. I look at the bottom of the alternator, and there is usually one of the two bolts missing. And I do have the little bushings that go in with the bolts. This problem just started a couple of months ago, but its really pi$$ing me off. Could I put a long bolt through the holes and block bracket and fasten it with a nut and lock washer?? Or do the threads stop inside of the bracket? Is there a hole that goes all the way through? Cause that would work too.

Thanks

Mark T.

...Could I put a long bolt through the holes and block bracket and fasten it with a nut and lock washer?? Or do the threads stop inside of the bracket? Is there a hole that goes all the way through?....

Yes, you can use a single long bolt and nut. But you have to drill completely through the lower alternator mount as the existing threaded holes are only partially drilled through. The present bolts are 8mm diameter. You can easily go to a 10mm diameter bolt if you want as there is plenty of available material in the mount and then re-drill the alternator mounting holes.

BTW, you have to change over to a single 10mm diameter bolt if you ever upgrade to the larger (105+ amp) Maxima alternators.