HybridZ

VQ35 in a 240z - measurements

scottc

It does require reworking but is possible Here's a link showing my vq30 and 350z trans into an rx-7

http://www.torquecentral.com/showthread.php?t=22517

Also more specifics on what I did to modify the intake

http://www.torquecentral.com/showthread.php?t=22010

It's been over two years and it is still on the car and no problems.

Thaniel

That is the swap that I am considering for the 510 wagon.. Nice and light engine, modern efi, and a smooth running engine at that... At least the engine part will be somewhat inexpensive.... the tranny on the other hand...

I saw it done on a 240SX... that engine combo is quite a few pounds less that the KA series engine setup.

How difficult is mating the 6 speed to the VQ30 ?..

That is the swap that I am considering for the 510 wagon.. Nice and light engine, modern efi, and a smooth running engine at that... At least the engine part will be somewhat inexpensive.... the tranny on the other hand...

I saw it done on a 240SX... that engine combo is quite a few pounds less that the KA series engine setup.

How difficult is mating the 6 speed to the VQ30 ?..

To mate the 6-speed to the VQ30.

Oilpan and windage tray (350z)

350z starter and a starter spacer (1/2" thick) if I remember right.

Slight alteration of the pan to acomodate the VQ30 crank sensor.

Front crank sensor holder (custom) to hold the VQ30 front crank sensor

Throw out bearing spacer (custom) designed by yours truly. I've given a copy of my drawing to some guys doing 240sx swaps and it worked for them as well. If someone wants it I can dig around and find the drawing.

Those 350Z 6-speeds can be found for very affordable prices surpisingly.

Yes they can but BEWARE. Most are from dealers replacing them due to the 3rd gear grind. In short most are NOT what you want. Don't touch anything from 2003 unless you can drive it first. Beware of Dealer take outs etc.

My first trans was a 2003 and it ground BAD. Couldn't UP shift into 3rd no mater how slow without it grinding. Forget about downshifting into 3rd without double clutching. I ended up getting a 2004 version later and it works great.

The nissan engines are great and have excellent reliability.

Oh. I'm thinking of selling my drivetrain or the whole car as I'm onto another project. If anyone is interested drop me a message. Act now and I'll throw in my 2003 trans and and extra clutch for for no extra charge :)

Hey Cruez. I just noticed you're in NC. I'm now living in the SW part of Virginia (exit 101 of I-81). IF you're ever by my way you could drop by and check out my handy work if you'd like.

Thanks, If I am anywhere near there, I'll be sure to hit you up...

I wish I had the $$$ for the drivetrain, I would probably take it.. it would save me some time, but I am putting the money into the "other" parts on the wagon now.. (sway bars, struts, strut tubes, springs, windows, seals....the list goes on) a few of the parts have been to the paint shop for stripping and epoxy primer.. the car is in so many stages Its hard to figure out what is what.)

Thanks, If I am anywhere near there, I'll be sure to hit you up...

I wish I had the $$$ for the drivetrain, I would probably take it.. it would save me some time, but I am putting the money into the "other" parts on the wagon now.. (sway bars, struts, strut tubes, springs, windows, seals....the list goes on) a few of the parts have been to the paint shop for stripping and epoxy primer.. the car is in so many stages Its hard to figure out what is what.)

AH....Sounds like your project is getting some nice chassis improvements. Yah stop by and have a look and go for a ride.

It would definately save time to buy the drivetrain all together. Took a lot to gather all the componenets. I'm not looking to make a bunch or money just get what the components are worth (Basically the customizing comes for free :) ).

Thaniel