HybridZ

VQ35 in a 240z - measurements

scottc

So i measured up the VQ35 and the 240Z today and found the following:

- will fit between the frame rails

- will have to clearence the front cross member to clear the oil pan, although the engine shouldn't interfere with the steering rack

- will have to move the hood latch and clearence the inner skelton of the hood to clear the intake manifold.

- At ride height (with tokico springs installed), the lowest part of the VQ35 (oil pan) will have 3" of clearence to the ground, but will be almost centered near the front wheels, the rest of the engine will have 4-5" of clearence to the ground (for reference, my front frame rails under the floor pans are about 4.75-5" off the ground).

- shifter on the vq engine will probably have to be shortened up a couple of inches to fit in the stock 240Z shifter location.

Do you think 3" of clearence between the pan and the ground will be too little? Does anyone have any pictures of this engine in the 240Z engine bay?

Hi,

If you look up my photo gallery you will see some pics of my VQ30det install, I would imagine that the VQ35 is similar?

There has been someone with pictures in these forums that has installed a VQ35 in an S30 but they seem to have the motor a fair way forward.

I hope that this is of some help for you.

Rob

You really shouldn't have the pan below the engine x-member. You want something substantial to hit the ground before your sump gets ripped off and your engine dies a very quick death.

Dave

I was thinking about this - but since it will be right behind the front x-member - i could make an addon to the x-member as protection for the oil pan.

Hi' date='

If you look up my photo gallery you will see some pics of my VQ30det install, I would imagine that the VQ35 is similar?

There has been someone with pictures in these forums that has installed a VQ35 in an S30 but they seem to have the motor a fair way forward.

I hope that this is of some help for you.

Rob[/quote']

Rob - thanks for the info - the VQ35 seems to be a little taller due to the intake manifold on top, and the throttle inlet close to the firewall.

Can you post some overall height, width and depth measurements of the VQ35?? I've got one in the Pathfinder but there is so much crap in there to get and accurate measurement..

Sure thing - what measurements would you like to know? The ones i can remember are (With the motor sitting on a flat concrete floor)

- 29" from the floor to the top most point on the rear of the intake manifold (near the throttle inlet)

- 26.5" from the floor to the top of the front of the intake manifold (closest to the timing chain)

- 35" from the back of the block to the center of the stock trans shifter location (this could be shortened by modifying the shift linkage a couple of inches).

- about 24" wide (+/- 1" since i was just eyeballing this measurement) without catayltic converters bolted up.

Other things to know is that the oil pan sits towards the front of the engine, and not much deeper than the rest of the block/bellhousing (about 2" deeper). Also - the AC pump is run a seperate belt. The serpentine belt runs the other accessories (PS, Alternator, waterpump). The power steering pump could easily be removed and just use a shorter belt in a non-PS car.

There is a guy in the L.A. area who has already done this swap. He was at the West Coast nationals and I think he even won some trophies for it last year. I see him around every now and then. Next time I see him at a local gathering i'll take some pics of his car and post'em.

I think i know the car you are referring to (silver 240 with the 350Z swap). I'd be interested to know why he mounted the motor far forward, and how much modification was needed for the front cross member.

You really shouldn't have the pan below the engine x-member. You want something substantial to hit the ground before your sump gets ripped off and your engine dies a very quick death.

Dave

funny you mention, there was a dood at one of our universities here in toronto that was scoping out some chick, "ridin' like a g", as he hopped one of the islands in the parking lot and ripped his pan off. LOL

no joke. i have to try and find the pic.

EDIT:

In his brand new 2005 Infiniti G35.

• 3 weeks later...

check out engineswaptech.com/forums/thread/240.aspx

He ended up making his own IM, its really not too hard. You can also cut off the plenum and make your own. theres a lot of options, the only downside to the 350z plenum is the front 2 cyls not getting egnough air and the height of the back. You can fix the cyl's problem with a spacer but that makes the height worse. Hence a custom setup. GL

~Alex

• 1 month later...
Except, the VQ30 manifold places the throttle body facing the transmission. If used in a RWD car that would make the TB face the firewall. Hmmmm, would probably need too much reworking of the manifold to make it useful.

It does require reworking but is possible Here's a link showing my vq30 and 350z trans into an rx-7

http://www.torquecentral.com/showthread.php?t=22517

Also more specifics on what I did to modify the intake

http://www.torquecentral.com/showthread.php?t=22010

It's been over two years and it is still on the car and no problems.

Thaniel

funny you mention, there was a dood at one of our universities here in toronto that was scoping out some chick, "ridin' like a g", as he hopped one of the islands in the parking lot and ripped his pan off. LOL

no joke. i have to try and find the pic.

EDIT:

In his brand new 2005 Infiniti G35.

i find that hard to believe since the oil pan is covered by a underbody protector(at least on my 05 g35)