HybridZ

JDM 2JZ-GTTE supra swap need advice

Silver Mine Motors

The 1jz head can't use 2jz cams, and there aren't many cam options out there for the 1jz in the us. I dont really want to be taxe'd to hell buying cams. The ferrea valvetrain was designed for the 2jz head. There are slight differences between the 1jz and 2jz valvetrain along with the aftermarket intake manifolds and available. The inlet valves on the 1jz are smaller and it flows around 20 cfm less stock then the 2jz:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339560

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388408

Regards,

Justin

Guest Crispy Chicken
In a 3400lb supra your pushing it. in a 1000lb lighter Z you might pull it off as long as you arnt dumpign the clutch on hot slicks. there are some things that should be done to the R154 if it's out of the car. like changing the shift fork that likes to break and a few other small things.

my friend weighted his 94 supra in at 4200lbs him in it, with a quarter tank at the track awhile back...

Derek

No' date=' Its definately a 5 speed,and $7500 is a bit much for the package, early floater brakes as well.He knows what he's got, just hopes no-one else does.

The 1J Vvt, is a beast,the single (bigger)turbo , combined with the Vvt gives it max torque 378Nm at 2400rpm (RB26Dett is 353 Nm).I have never found out what the 2JZ Vvt torque figures are, but they must be frightening.

The down side of the conversion is weight,Be prepared for this when considering the conversion, does not bother me as car is street cruiser, Mine tips the scales at 1290 Kg,(2838lbs)will hit 1300Kgs when I get the air back in.But even if you were building for track, the weight increase is leveled by the huge power.

Balance is 53% front, 47% rear.Engine mounts moved to off the rails behind the strut towers. disappeared the original mounts from the crossmember which made it easier to set up a 2 turns lock to lock power rack.

If your car is intended for the street, you definately do not need to go to the extra cost of a 2J.

Both engines are real easy to transplant,(wire-up is a bit of a nightmare)[/quote'] my supr'a a 2jz with vvt-i head ;)

So what is the torque on this beast?and at what revs? the Vvt on the 1J halved it's max torque figure. Mine is downright scary in the wet, a little to much throttle and it does figure 8s.:burnout:

well my max troque's right around 3800 but I'm n/a for the moment. give me a few more weeks and maybe i'll have a dyno on a turbo setup

The 1jz head can't use 2jz cams' date=' and there aren't many cam options out there for the 1jz in the us. I dont really want to be taxe'd to hell buying cams. The ferrea valvetrain was designed for the 2jz head. There are slight differences between the 1jz and 2jz valvetrain along with the aftermarket intake manifolds and available. The inlet valves on the 1jz are smaller and it flows around 20 cfm less stock then the 2jz:

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=339560

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=388408

Regards,

Justin

unless you got a really good deal on it... i dont see the point. ive read the threads.. in fact i think i posted in them. but anyway. the 1jz does flow a little less stock.. BUT.. its not going to make that much of a difference unless your going for some huge power numbers. and if your going for huge power numbers you might as well be using a 2j, why waste time with .5 liter less displacement if your paying that much for stuff anyway? at that point you might as well go 2j and get all the usdm parts. also.. the 1jz head can be machined to accept aftermarket valves for a 2jz.. just look at Hamsmk3 (chris) and his build on there. And 2jz cams can be machined to fit a 1jz head and right now crower is doing grinds for 1jz cars. hks makes a set that works just fine and plenty.. and i mean PLENTY of 1jz guys in japan take their cars to 10k + rpm in japan with 1jz heads. i mean.. its not like youd be able to do it everyday anyway no matter what you build but it does get the job done when you need it.

The main point is to avoid all of the headaches by using the 1jz head.

-machine cams to fit

-modify full-race inlet manifold to fit

-tip valves 1mm

Also, the reason to go to the shorter stroke is to lower piston speeds to reliable rev over 10k. You are looking at a lighter, shorter rod with the 1JZ lower end. I end up with a better rod/stroke ratio. I dont really care if it doesn't make as much power as a 2jz. I'm just building sometime ORIGINAL, that will make killer power and be reliable.

Regards,

Justin