HybridZ

SBC drive shaft application question

With the V8 Z conversion, Did you guys have to get the driveshaft professionally shortened and balanced, or is there a drive shaft out there that will work w/o hacking it down? I haven't seen much in the way of after market parts for driveshaft (other than the Chevy-Datsun flange.)

Seann

Speaking from experience, get one made that is capable of handling the torque of the v8 and is balanced correctly. Also install safety loop if you seriously value your life. I had one let go at over 100MPH at the trans and the driveline dug into the pavement, sent the rear of my truck over 6 feet in the air by accounts of the guy I just smoked. Scared the bejeezus out of me and could have likely killed me and others.

And what about the Differential, I exploded my gears with my V8 Conversion in my 260Z So we rebuilt it with some 280Z gears in the 260Z box but i'm afraid it won't last long. What did you guys do?

And what about the Differential, I exploded my gears with my V8 Conversion in my 260Z So we rebuilt it with some 280Z gears in the 260Z box but i'm afraid it won't last long. What did you guys do?

What did we do???? KEEP UPGRADING.... Now you're starting to see why I laugh when the question is asked, "How much does a V8 Conversion cost? with an answer of $2500. Everytime you change a part the weakest link moves down the line. If you put a R-200 in maybe the u-joints will fail or......ect,ect. That's why my standard answer on this is "There's no end in sight".

LARRY

i am not making tremendous power but I have lit up my posi with 10 tires 20 - 30 times. I took a blazer drive shaft and had it grafted to my 280z rear joint and clamped it in the stock r200 flange.

the OD of the blazer shaft was bigger than the z shaft. So the welder cut the blazer shaft to fit and then slid about 6 inches of z shaft and spacer inside it. He tacked it and I took it back to measure. He told me too insert the shaft all the way into the tranny then pull it out about 3/4 " and mark it there. Then I took it back and he sealed it up.

• 1 month later...

This is the shaft I plan to buy for my TKO trans

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=FMS%2DM%2D4602%2DG&N=700+400070+302905+4294900858+115&autoview=sku

Add another $100 to $150 for shortening and balancing for a grand total of less than $400.

Some people think the lighter weight and different resonant characteristics of aluminum shafts really help reduce the driveline vibrations. Others think you have to have steel to have a strong shaft.

jap tin: any links to Mark Williams? The name is too generic to google.

You guys are paying way too much for drive shafts, look in your phone book and find a truck drive line shop, I had a Camaro DS shortend, balanced, new U joints, and a new rear yoke for 1310 U joints, he also installed my JTR rear flange for the rear, $180.00, it has even painted, two day wait. You just need to measure it carefully.

Try PST driveshafts. They do a lot of circle track and custom hotrods. My custom built steel shaft with Powerglide yoke, 1310 u joints, and no diff adapter (already had the JTR adapter) was $170 delivered.

http://www.pstds.com/

Thanks. Can get a custom made aluminum unit for what I would have paid for a summit one that would need to be shortened.