HybridZ

Grad school vs Tech school

EvilC

It’s quite true that little of one’s academic studies applies directly in “real world” engineering, except for certain computer skills such as CAD and Matlab. But the point of formal education in engineering is to improve one’s capacity to learn new information, and to see (sorry for the hackneyed term) the “big picture”. In this sense on-the-job training such as internship will not replace formal schooling.

That said, a Ph.D. is probably not worth the trouble. In purely economic terms, the increase in annual salary will not compensate for the 5 years that you’re out of the labor force; teaching assistants rarely make more than $20K/year. Job security and employability are no better than for a Masters - and if you believe the cartoons and anecdotes, employability can actually be worse. The most natural option for post-Ph.D. employment - professorship - comes with considerable baggage and aggravation. One goes for the Ph.D. because of some idealistic love for the subject matter - much the same justification as for joining the Peace Corps or a seminary. If you have that love, fine - but then you probably don’t need to ask….

But just to spite Mikelly :-) , I'll argue in favor of the Ph.D. vs. "practical experience". The experienced employee is great at efficiently completing specialized tasks, at troubleshooting worrisome problems and getting things to work. But he's generally at a loss in trying to conceptualize; he struggles to articulate cogently and eloquently what he means to say; he fails to appreciate the aesthetics of abstract knowledge. As a "program manager" I work with both college professors and small-business contractors. The contrast is striking! With the professors I can freely exchange ideas - the conversation moves smoothly without pause. They "get it". With the industry guys I have to pause, constantly tying the discussion back to "applications". They know exactly what software package to use, and how to use it - but they are perfectly content to treat it as a black box.

Thanks for all the feedback so far.......makes me think even more. Bartman really hit the nail on the head with the idea of calling companies and really seeing what they want. I really need to sit down and think about where my life is going in the next 5 yrs. Parents may be leaving Ny with the next year or so to head to NC, so money will def come into play if I plan on being here on my own. Anyone here own their own speed shop>>?? I ust want to get an idea of what it takes to get started.....9-5 doesn't seem like it is the thing for me. I think I got this spoiled idea watching my father as I grew up running his own busn and not having anyone to answer to. Everyone here makes great points......and the more I read Wyotech seems like it is not for me at this point in life. I'll keep you guys updated with my thoughts.......

But just to spite Mikelly :-) , I'll argue in favor of the Ph.D. vs. "practical experience". The experienced employee is great at efficiently completing specialized tasks, at troubleshooting worrisome problems and getting things to work. But he's generally at a loss in trying to conceptualize; he struggles to articulate cogently and eloquently what he means to say; he fails to appreciate the aesthetics of abstract knowledge. As a "program manager" I work with both college professors and small-business contractors. The contrast is striking! With the professors I can freely exchange ideas - the conversation moves smoothly without pause. They "get it". With the industry guys I have to pause, constantly tying the discussion back to "applications". They know exactly what software package to use, and how to use it - but they are perfectly content to treat it as a black box.

And my guess is that if you asked those "experienced" employees, they'd have similar comments about those in academia... To each, his own. However, This young man could start earning a real living while deciding which move to make next, and with the experience gained and knowledge earned from that perspective, he'd have an even better ability to decide on which path to take.

Mike