HybridZ

which v8

Guest n4spd

im am just getting introduced into the world of the hybrid z. i currently have a 76 280z that i want to do a v8 in. im just not sure what i should be looking for. i have heard to just get an engine out of a 90ish camaro and use that and then other have told me to do an older carberated engine. i just dont know enough to know whats the best way and what exact motor i should look for? any help would be much appreciated.

What are you planning on doing with the car? You want a street or track car? You must have an idea of your budget so you do not take on more than you can handle. A LT/LS series engine is more involved than an older style carb'd motor. I suggest buying the JTR manual and using the search function.....lots of info here on the site.

Welcome and I hope this helps you out.....where are the pics of the car? :-)

My best advice is... research carefully and ask lots of questions, weigh the pros/cons of each option, and consider total costs. Then DO IT and do it RIGHT.

Mine is currently a mid/mild SBC 350 and I'm upgrading to a built 383. It's the easiest option and it hauls arse :^)

Oh... and get the JTR manual!!!

Just as mentioned above it all depends on what ya wanna do with the car and what ya want the car to do ..... i had just a plain 350 long block rebuilt for 700 bucks with an auto in it and it worked great fro about a year till i got bored .. ran fine 12.03 at like 115. in the 1/4 mile .. now about 10 grand later i have a built 700r4 and a zz383 crate motor seems to be getting about 20 mpg city and has run an 11.20 at over 125.. so what do ya want it to do and how much ya wanna spend .... thats all ya have to ask yourself

i deff want the car to be street legal but i want it tear up the track on the quarter mile. right now im still in the proccess of restoring the body it doesnt need much more than pain and a little clean but money wise i am attempting to sell my jeep so if it sells then i will have a very good chunck of moollla to get started and then my monthly paycheck :). and as for my jtr manual its in the mail, im still waiting for it. thanks for the imputs.

LQ4 is the Gen3/4 6.0 L truck motor found in GM trucks. 241 heads are 00-04 LS1 heads (they are really cheap) pick a cam (look around LS1tech for a cam) and 4L60E is the automatic transmission with overdrive (a fairly weak transmission in stock form, but should last a while in a 240Z)

i just got a 77' gmc truck with a good running 350 and auto trans with 70k miles for $300. I'm gonna pull the engine and sell the truck and get the engine trans and driveshaft free. that way i can either get it rebuilt to be pretty fast, or sell it just to make some money. just be creative, u can usually end up with a free engine and tranny if u buy a car/truck and then sell the body. a good running 350 will be fast in a Z, and if u end up with a free engine from buying and selling, just have it rebuilt to be really fast, and not be out much money.

If alittle is good, then more is better. Stock 400 block, 3.875 stroked to 421 cubic inches, just as cheap as a 383 but better.

Heh, heh... I'm gonna start a new thread:icon54: