HybridZ

Dyno'd a friends 82 280ZX

TREVTEC

Went to tune a freinds 82 280ZX. Were running a TH350 trans in it and we had a little trouble making boost on a dynojet because of the stall. So we went to a local Mustang dyno and got some pretty interesting numbers. Mods are as listed.

L28 turbo

Huge FMIC, 24x12x4

Custom intercooler pipes

Upgraded turbo cam from Z car parts

Z31 turbo

Halman boost controller

Billet fuel rail

Walbro 255 inline pump

A/C, PS and Clutch Fan deleted

240SX 60mm Throttle body

Adjustable Fuel pressure regulator

TH350 trans with 4000 stall and transbrake

Adapter plate by Thagard

Stock ECU and injectors

The way I did the intercooler pipes didnt allow me to run a filter so I just have a screen over the end of the MAF which cause the car to run rich. After a few pulls on the dyno, running max boost of 16.9 and it tapered to 13 psi by redline we got 226hp and 409 ft lbs of torque. Thing feels like your driving a pretty fast desiel truck. Anything over 226 hp it would lean out quite a bit. But right at 16-17 psi it held a pretty flat 11.8-12.0 AFR.

It didnt hold the 400 ft lbs all the way across but still had about 275 by redline. I will post up the dyno sheet later today.

I cant figure out why it wont make any more HP. We just put new Rings and rod bearings, Metal head gasket and ARP studs in it along with the Cam and intercooler. We dyno'd on a Dynojet before the mods and it made 225hp and 278 ft lbs on the same boost. The Mustang dyno does read quite a bit lower than the Dynojet just by comparing other cars though. The whole time were tuning Im adjusting the regulator and boost and it only increasing torque, the HP was going up but just a few HP each boost level. I think I'll try and search around on here and try to find dynos of other stock turbo L28s.

Well I can see why he is confused but if the sweet spot for torque on your engine is 2200-2700 like on the L28 and you dont see boost till 3500-4000 your torque will end up being a little lower than usual. He is also running a large intake manifold with short runners which will also kill torque.

Well I can see why he is confused but if the sweet spot for torque on your engine is 2200-2700 like on the L28 and you dont see boost till 3500-4000 your torque will end up being a little lower than usual. He is also running a large intake manifold with short runners which will also kill torque.

I played around with the stock ecu, electronics, turbo, etc for a long time . . .

Stock T3 @15psi worked out to 274whp and 320 ftlbs of torque. . .

I played around with the stock ecu' date=' electronics, turbo, etc for a long time . . .

Stock T3 @15psi worked out to 274whp and 320 ftlbs of torque. . .[/quote']

Thats about right for a Dynojet. We had a guy come straite from a Dynojet and made 389whp and based 300whp on the Mustang. Im sure we would see close to 300whp on a Dynojet but it wont make as much torgue because it wont build boost without load on the automatic tranny.