HybridZ

More 302Z Pics

Just Jim

The motor is in and running and driveable but still needs a lot of small stuff done.The Summit street rod headers clear just fine.

datsunheaderstarter

I used a Thunderbird SC 2 speed fan using low speed only. Even with a 100 amp GM CS alternator the motor will slow down when the fan kicks on. The fan wiring has a 30 amp fuse which doesn't last long until it blows. I'm still working on that problem.

datsunred302

More pics!

Summit?

Did it clear your steering shaft?

I will be sad if it did. I went with a custom pair.:toetap05:

More pics please.

(Edit) Well I saw in your other post that you did indeed say that it cleared the shaft. My bad.

Blowing a 30 amp fuse!!?? Thats not good. Should not have that kind of a load at all. Keep us posted!! Looks good mister!

The coated headers were $178. Summit also sells uncoated versions for less. The headers may not work for every application but fit fine using my homemade crossmember locating the motor very near the firewall. The front oil drain plug of the dual sump Foxbody oil pan bearly clears the rear of the stock Datsun crosmember.

Nice set up and I like your rail motor mounts. Your 100 amp alternator is not putting out 100 amps probably until your engine is revving at a higher level2000=3000 rpm's. This is why your engine slows. You can probably find out the rpm's versus amp output from the manufacturer and maybe substitute a different pulley. Also, if your battery is depleted your alternator will 'turn harder' until battery is charged. So you might make sure your battery is fully charged.

Quick question...is your timing marker a small cast in nub on the timing chain cover or is it a bolted on metal pointer on the passenger side of the engine?

I am curious since my '66 289 has a cast-in nub.

Ferd

Ferd,thanks for the info on the alternator. The fan was hooked up to high speed which caused more of a current draw and spun the fan faster than really needed. I wired it up to slow speed so now the engine doesn't slow down at idle now when the fan kicks on.

The timing pointer is a metal piece bolted on to the drivers side of the timing cover. I used an early pre '70 water pump with the inlet on the passenger side.The '83 302 damper timing marks were made for a passenger side pointer so I just used some timing tape on the damper aligned for TDC with the metal pointer.

• 2 weeks later...