HybridZ

2+2 Owners

Challenger

• Replies 869
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worked on the Z this weekend. I read a thread on Zcar.com on how to compress the bumper shocks on a 280. It's pretty easy. I just had to remove the screw on the bumper mounts to let air out, and drill through the hole to drain the gas.

frontbump_thumb.jpg

rearbump_thumb.jpg

sidebump_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the nice comments on my 2+2 guys!! i like to think it looks pretty sharp!:mrgreen: Its taken 6 long years to get it looking like that! i bought it when i was 19. over those years i've bought 3 different engines which were going to go in (2X rb20dets in disrepair and rb25det). Its got koni adjustables all round, 4 pot brakes in front, and my own rear disc conversion (r31 skyline rotors, vr4 callipers, sorry- mitsi i know!!). R200 LSD, and coilovers as well.

ZROSSA: no, i havent done any new rubbers yet! i've been trawling the net trying to find some, they all seem to be rather pricey. they are all i need to get the body sorted out.

260zman, Very nice 2+2. Similar colour to what I have for mine if I ever get around to doing work on it again. Did you replace the rubbers for the interior? I am going to need front and back windscreen rubbers and door one's. Need a local source.

Cheers, Douglas

I was told by Kim at Idaho Z Car that if you buy 3 72 240z door weatherstrips you can use it on the 2+2 door. And you can buy all the windshield and hatch glass weatherstripping from MSA.

Zrossa when you gonna finish up your car??? Could we atleast get some more pictures? I only have 2 and Ill look at them and wonder what the rest of the car looks like.

240zman, If you track some down for a good price and they are overseas let me know. maybe we can save on shipping or get a better deal. You never know.

Mopar 69. When am I going to finish....... Cant really answer that. The car really only needs a final sand down and then paint. Its just come back from getting a modest roll cage installed so I can inter it into some of the tarmac rallys we have around here. I am haveing some problems with getting the cobra r rims on. To meet the local land transport and motor sport rules we cant have a spacer bigger then 25 mm. The cobra r's need a 36 mm for the fron and a 33 mm for the rear. This has ment that i have had to get custom hubs fabricated which is taking a really long time. The same engineer is doing mu hydrualic realeace bearing set up for the supra trans and this is taking its time as well. So all of this and the fact that I work 7 days a week hasnt really helped. I need some rainy days so I can get in the shed. I might get the zg flares bolted up tonight. If so I will get some photos in the morning.

Thanks for the kick in the rear. Cheers, Douglas

Hey Guys, I told my whole story the other day on a new thread I started but here I go again for the 2+2 guys.

I bought this 74 2+2 on eBay for $400 bucks about 6 months ago. Had a tow truck tow it to a shop I found by goggle called Alt Z. Basically every I did was by email and goggle! I had the shop work on it for the 6 months before planning a trip with my son and wife just 3 weeks ago. We flew from Iqaluit to Ottawa, Calgary, LA then a $120 taxi to Huntington Beach where AltZ is. Stayed a night a the local Best Western enjoying the beach that night and wine & dined. We then taxied to the shop to see the car for the first time after spending 5K over the 6 months. I had the whole interior done except the door panels as I haven’t been able to find a nice set in good shape. New carpet, eBay seats in great shape, a wooden 240 wheel that I now regret and will sell for what I paid, had a 5 speed swapped for the 4 speed so I would get better mileage for the long trip, a set of rims off eBay to replace the gross rims that were on it. Breaks were al fine, engine needed a rebuild on head but this it, Tony did an amazing job on the whole project considering I had a car that I had never seen in person dropped off at his shop and told him to fix it! He gave me daily reports by email and I bought just about all the part on eBay. The $400 eBay win ended up costing me close to 6K but I have a really reliable car now that fit my sons black leather Ricarro baby seat perfectly in the center on the hump. We had room for 3 suit cases, emergency water to cross the desert and a spare gas can that came in handy in the middle of Nevada after I had opened her up to $125 Mph for 20 minutes and eat up a ¼ tank. I also discovered that the tank is out of gas on these cars at 1/4 full! I actually know that from my early years of owning these cars but forgot up till we ran out. Thank god I had the smarts to buy that 2 gallon cheery can. We made it to the gas stating on fumes! The whole trip took 6 days including heavy rains on Ohio and gambling away 300 bucks in Vegas. The rest of the trip across US was just awesome, thank god the AC worked. I am so happy with my Z car now and I know it is solide bumper to bumper. A year from now it will be one of the nicest 2+2s in around and I will never sell it as I plan to give it to my son when he is 16.

DSC_0063_thumb.JPG

DSC_0072-2_thumb.JPG

DSC_0035_thumb.JPG

3582_thumb.attach

DSC_0111_thumb.JPG

Yes and a true one at that, all I left out was the 2 hour interrogation by the US border patrol on my way into Canada as they couldn’t believe I paid 400 bucks for a car that looked like I paid 10k for! Next time I buy a car in the US I will be trucking it back with a broker, and my next vacations will be in Europe.

Nunavut,

Nice story indeed. Great dedication and leap of faith getting your Z.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

A few hours ago I picked up another 2+2. You can get them at Dollar Tree!

7upZ.jpg

Sweet, whats your point?

I like your dedication towards your Z. You purchased it without seeing it in person, trusted others to repair it, and your first drive was across the U.S. to Canada.

Your story far eclipses my 2+2 Z car find. I found these at the Dollar Tree store. It is difficult to find any kind of models of 2+2's. Coupes are all over the place. Just kind of amusing to see a 280Z 2+2 with a 7up logo.

lol, ok thanks, yes it certainly was a real adventure. My Inuit ( grew up in an outpost camp, eat raw meat first 20 years of her life, never left the north before 1999) wife had no clue what a Datsun Z was and except for the youtube clips I had shown her! she lator told me that she was scared as hell as the clips I showed her were loud cars doing burnouts and engine swaps! My buitiful 260Z I scored was original from owner with no mods like hot cam or hollywood muffler, it is totally calm a daily driver that my Inuit girl absulutly fell in love with. 1000 miles into the trip we had named the car Missy, Missy for Ms Zee and we had agreed on the trip that the 260 was a she, so we came up with the name Missy as the car had run so well after my wife had really thaght we were going to break down and have a nightmare experience. I absolutly know we would make it as I owned 5 of these cars when I was 16 to 20 years old before I moved to Nunavut whare you have to own a 4x4.

heres a pic of my truck

2001 Tundra, Chevy 411 axles and a full glass tilt front nose clip I built myself.

Jay

Picture 003_thumb.jpg

Picture 034_thumb.jpg

Picture 037_copy_thumb.jpg