HybridZ

Cooling system question

Well I've decided to go full force on my Z car again. I picked up just about everything I need to make her run, And since I got laid off I now have the time to put in on this project. So I go to my local parts store and try to get a 1984-6 4 cly camaro rad. (the one suggested in the book) and I cant find one. they are all to wide. I have EXCATLY 25" between the rails. My thoughts are the rad company droped the shorter model, and will only sell the heavy duty version, thus eliminating a model from the catalog. I can order a griffin 24x19 or call Stealth Conversions and get one from them, but I'm trying to use as many stock, off the shelf parts as I can, so If I'm damage something in the middle of nowhere I can just get one and be back on the road.

So My question is: Does anybody know of a GM style rad less than 25" wide (I'll cut my rails if I have to) that I can get from a local parts house? Thanks for reading this far. Keith

PS I've allready spent the better part of yesterday using the search function, I must have read 300 threads looking for this part. Thanks again

Use the stock radiator that came with the Z. We did for awhile, just need to make sure you use a fan shroud. This will get you by until you can find one. We use the Griffian Radiator now.

John

Well I've decided to go full force on my Z car again. I picked up just about everything I need to make her run' date=' And since I got laid off I now have the time to put in on this project. So I go to my local parts store and try to get a 1984-6 4 cly camaro rad. (the one suggested in the book) and I cant find one. they are all to wide. I have EXCATLY 25" between the rails. My thoughts are the rad company droped the shorter model, and will only sell the heavy duty version, thus eliminating a model from the catalog. I can order a griffin 24x19 or call Stealth Conversions and get one from them, but I'm trying to use as many stock, off the shelf parts as I can, so If I'm damage something in the middle of nowhere I can just get one and be back on the road.

So My question is: Does anybody know of a GM style rad less than 25" wide (I'll cut my rails if I have to) that I can get from a local parts house? Thanks for reading this far. Keith

PS I've allready spent the better part of yesterday using the search function, I must have read 300 threads looking for this part. Thanks again[/quote']

Worse case you can get a summit rad for $159 all aluminum but I understand your on a budget. Another thing is I checked out autozone.com and they list a standard and heavy duty version. Might wanna check that out as well. Worse case go up and down a few years at the parts store and see what you can find.

I would be running the stocker, But I havn't seen that rad in about 5 yrs. This project has been running on the back burner for at least that long. I have a VERY good suspension, and braking system installed, Most of the new wiring is in. I still need to hard mount the Dana 44M and the fuel cell. Megasquirt in built and tested, the TPI is all ready to go. I need to plumb the fuel and cooling system, and fire it!! Then make the body as pretty as the mechanicals. Keith

Ron Davis aluminum radiator for Chevy or Ford V8 (inlets & outlets placement) $209.95 Two-core with 1" tubes, more efficient than 4 core with 1/2" tubes. Dimensions 19" tall, 2 1/4" thick, available widths are 22", 26", 28" or 31" for same price.

Speedway part# 917-342

The 22" for your application far exceeds the performance of any 4 core 19 X 25 anyway.

Hope it helps.

- Lee

Lee do you have a site for you MX5? I bought my wife one a month ago, 1991 model with posi. and just last night she was lamenting that it needed a few extra ponies to make some of the long uphills we have near here that she likes to enjoy "spirited driving" on. A small turbo should do the trick for her, but would love to show her what is possiable. She LOVED driving my 2nd gen RX-7 with the 355/700R4. Keith

Yeah Keith, my photo site is;

http://s33.photobucket.com/albums/d63/LS2V8Miata/?sc=1

And if you decide to turbo, Flyin' Miata www.flyinmiata.com are the smartest people to turbo Miatas and they package great turbos with the most reliable, developed HP and more important, without turning the wife's Miata into a smokin' grenade.

- Lee