HybridZ

Rack Bushings

Sorry if I overlooked this info in searching but couldnt find it,

Im getting ready to replace the rack bushings (Rubber Rack Mounts) and before I start taking everything off I figured I would stop by for some advice on the best way to go about replacing them, I have included a pic.

Thanks in advance

Dustin

~74 260Z

1010131oh4.jpg

Seen some posts recently that said that it was hard to get the bushings out because of interference with the oil pan. If that happens you should be able to unbolt the motor mounts and use a piece of wood to jack the engine up (jack right next to the mount). This will allow you to lift the engine about an inch or so and might give you the space you need. I've only ever done this job with the engine out, so that's a suggestion you might not even need.

Also, did you see the double nuts on the rack bushing straps? Gotta take the 12mm nut off the top first, then the 14mm second.

It can be done without pulling the engine, but it was a GIGANTIC pia on my car. I used the uerethane ones that came with my ES bushing kit. You can take the straps off the top (the bolts come out from the bottom), and then yank the old ones out with some locking pliers. Then you have to try and get the new ones to fit under the rack (this may or may not turn out to be easier from the bottom) and once you put the top on in, you are home free. Just crank the bolts in, and be on your way. Mine took longer than I thought they would...

I removed my rack by jacking the engine. If your bushings were as fried as mine, you will not be able to simple pull the old bushings off the rack and attach the new ones. It was a good thing I was pulling my rack off otherwise it would have been a lesson in frustration.

Do yourself a favor and just pull the entire rack. You'll have to clean the seating area for the bushings before putting on the new ones anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
surfsnake2 anyone offer some advice.... i cant get one of the u clamps to connect to the rack, there is to much of a gap to get the bolt to connect to it

There are actually 2 different diameter racks. Early and late models which are the years 70 to mid 74 and 74 to 78. You may have the wrong bushings for your particular rack. The early style have a smaller diameter than the late style. Although both racks can be bolted to 70 to 78 crossmembers, with the proper bushings. Maybe that's why you can't get the bolts started.