HybridZ

Score at the Junkyard...

Tony D

Well, while the 260ZT sits in the backyard languishing, with me too disgusted/preoccupied to work on it, I scored big on VW EFI parts today at the Junkyard.

Which should get my 66 VW Bus (or the 62) running on fuel-only MS.

Got me the OEM Air Temperature Sensor, Head Temperature Sensor, and Injector hardware (less the Dual Port Endpieces)

What I was really happy about was the old style VW Distributor. I go Perlux Across the board on the VW's, and this will happen with that one as well, but the old 68-75 Type III have a secondary set of contacts that sent a breaker signal to the ECU for injector sequencing. Hopefully it will have no inductive problems. These old VW ECUS were buggier than Beta Megasquirt! LOL

Man, working around that engine bay reminded me how far Electronics have come! The MAP sensor on the three vehicles I was raping was about the diameter of a Beer Can, and 4" long! And OH! the "Calibration for Altitude Routine"

Turning the key on and off and back on again while coasting seemed to be a pain till I saw that thing in there and remembered the "old procedure"!

And now I hear there's a dual MAP sensor board... LOL

First things first, gotta get ONE of the two projects going...sooner or later. These were about the last of the bits I needed for the conversion. I'll probably use the Nissan stuff for the rest of the conversion on the VW. I'll check the head temperature sensor against a Nissan CHT. It's taken me since I logged on Megasquirt Yahoo Forums till now to FIND a complete VW EFI engine that had these components STILL ATTACHED. Now to compare the curves and substitute adequate, available spares!

Not Z-Related, but I did pick up an Alternator from Jeff Priddy to put into the car to see if that one does any better in the "noise" area.

Grasping at straws when I have the time...

Volkswagen was the first to mass market with Electronic FI. The 1968 Type 3 went from Dual Carbs to EFI.

For everyone touting the EFI as "new and spectacular" you got to wonder what their historical perspective is....

Anyway, went back to the yard today with my son (snuck him in...underaged), and pulled a Hydraulic Liftered L28ET with 155.442 miles on it that hopped a curb and was impounded. Still had pressure in the fuel rail, fresh gas, and nice green antifreeze in it, as well as refrigerant under pressure in the A/C System.

So I have a spare. Was so beat by the end of the day, didn't bother to pull the differential companion flange, nor the spare 81ZXT CAS unit sitting just three cars away.

Or to pull the 81ZXT Block. Must be getting old.

what "yard" are you going to that has multiple ZXT's in it?

Ohhhhh, one right up the 60 from Hacienda Heights!

Matter of fact, the guy I told about the BW T-5 on the car drove from Diamond Bar to get it that morning. He was closer than you, but not by muuuuch....

Muahahahahaha!

• 2 weeks later...