HybridZ

Rear disc bolt-ons - options?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Guys --

I'm really not trying to beat this to death, but I have abandoned my efforts to find some OEM Maxima brackets. The question becomes: what bolt-on options exist to get rear discs, with E brake, on a 1st gen. Z? Any brackets that work with the SX calipers? Other choices? My rear drums and shoes are shot and I need to upgrade now, before I wind up forking over $150 - $200 to replace them with more inadequate rear brakes. I know you can feel my pain, so give me an affordable answer! Thanks.

Two choices that I know of... Wait a bit and get in on the CNC machined ones that Ross is going to setup or buy a set of Outlaw calipers form Mike w/brake brackets and then go with Wilwood spots - he's still working on that last part.

Oh yeah, Mike also has some weld on ears for the SX brakes if you want to go that way - I almost did icon_smile.gif

Got my brackets and calipers from MikeSCCA bolted on today icon_biggrin.gif Easy as can be to bolt on and I just need a set of brake lines made up to be good to go brake wise. This is a good easy bolt on way to go folks and looks darned nice. 11inch solid rotors....

• 4 years later...

That's basically the ZQuip setup that I had for years. Check the brake FAQ. My comments are in there. Basically its nice not to have to deal with drums (I hate drums) but it isn't a great performance upgrade. The calipers are huge but they are much more reliable than the later ZX calipers that everyone wants.

To link you cut and paste your link, then put (url) in front of the link and (/url) in back. If you try to just type the tag it doesn't show up so I had to use paretheses instead of the squared brackets that should be used. Or, like this [example]www.link.com[/example] where example is url.

One more thing, if you don't want to pull the stub axles to install that brake kit you can cut some of the bracket off and just install the bracket with 3 bolts like the MM or MSA brackets do. Figured that one out way too late.

You'll need 240SX rear calipers (and hangers) as stated in the MML description of the brackets. Just for notes, if you don't have a local JY to pull these from (for use or cores) watch Ebay. They come up now and then. I'll be putting some out for auction soon too...maybe this week if things work out.

DaleMX, just a few differences to that ebay setup you referenced and our own. That ebay setup utilizes the early 280ZX calipers which many have found prone to seizing, let alone the smaller diameter 10" rotor setup it's based upon impedes ebrake to CV (if one goes to CV's ) clearance.

We've got an older writeup on some pros/cons of our 240SX caliper/Z31 rotor rear conversion vs. the typical original 280ZX rear setups noted here,

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/xtrainfo/reardisk.htm

Any other questions let us know. Not all 14" wheels clear our setup as is. We've had a select few customers modify our setup slightly to reduce the overall diameter to clear some 14" wheels that were staying on their Z so that's always an option (Terry O helped one such customer complete a 14" install).

Any other questions let us know,

Cheers,

DaleMX, just a few differences to that ebay setup you referenced and our own. That ebay setup utilizes the early 280ZX calipers which many have found prone to seizing, let alone the smaller diameter 10" rotor setup it's based upon impedes ebrake to CV (if one goes to CV's ) clearance.

It's the later 280ZX calipers that seize. I put the early calipers on my car because a Nissan master tech scared me away from the later ones, and coincidentally my next door neighbor was replacing his 83's rear calipers at the same time. More evidence: http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=82790 I sold mine to a member here and I used them for 8 years of street/autox/track usage and never had a hint of a leak or a stuck caliper at all.

So the early ZX calipers are heavy and have a small pad and a small rotor, but they are IME and the experience of the people I know very reliable. A good alternative if you hate drum brakes like I do, but not as good a performance upgrade as the 240SX setup with the larger rotor or a full on race style Wilwood setup that loses the ebrake.

Jon, as stated I found early ones to sieze. I should have clarified issues were most commonly with the ebrake mechanism seizing and the cam braking. They did require regular maintenance to keep lubed and wear the pads evenly I found as well as others. It was on my own car ebrake cam broke at one point which is a pain as essentially that's a caliper replacement (ie. pricey!) and not a rebuild by your typical shop. After noting my experience with others in early to mid 90's I became aware of similar occurences others related.