HybridZ

Is this a good deal? LS1 oriented

For those of you that have done the swap and have laid the cash down. Is 3000 dollars decent for a totaled camaro t56/ls1 car. The car had been rolled to my understanding. Just trying to see if this is around the going price. As some might remember I was going to do a 383 swap on my old 76' but was involved in a wreck. My user name was (383Tom'z280). So im not new to the Z game by any means. Anyway looking to do the swap and work it up to around 400 to 450whp. This is just his asking price hopfuly I can talk him down alittle. Thanks in advance for any help.

I paid $6200 for my 02 Camaro with 34K. If you look at my old post you can find pics so you can compare damage. Does the car run and drive? Leather int? Get pics, so we can look and tell ya. If this guy is asking $3000 that means he will take $2700...lol Hope this helps.

Clive

Nothing wrong with a rolled over LS1 car but the ones that have been hit int he front, make sure the body didnt go into the crank. I have heard on numerous occasions that if you so much as tap the crank pulley in a accident then your thrust bearing clearance is outta whack and it will need a rebuild.

While everyone else is throwing prices out there I got my '99 LS1/4l60E for $2500 and then sold the tranny for $500. Had 70k on the odometer.

the year makes a big difference in price, as does the manual.

LS1 prices jumped about a grand from the first of this year. They are becoming harder to get these days.

Really....I thought they were getting easier to get....or is just going down on price because the LS2 are becoming more available.

I use this place as kind of a barometer of LS pull out prices. I watched the prices from that place for a couple of years before I bought my engine. Since the end of last year prices on the 2001-2002 F bodies went up like I said. I called the guy, and he told me he only lists a fraction of the engines he sells on ebay. He said his prices are dependent upon the auction prices for the cars. He said everybody had finally figured out that these engines are starting to get old and that they aren't making any more of them.

The pre 2000 motors are supposedly less desirable due to different oiling and heads. You see the obscene prices on the LS2 motors. Makes for a small pool of available cars.

If I did it again I would just get me a complete 6.0l motor. Still an LSX style motor but they are iron blocked so rebuilding them isnt as much of a pain and they are cheaper and easier to find than the aluminum versions. Heavier but will take gobs more power before breaking, even though the aluminum blocks and stock cranks have been pushed beyond 1000hp and still lived.

Went to see the car yesterday. My buddy told me wrong, this guy wont sell the car just the parts. He bought the car wrecked to part out. This guy wants 4700 for the eng.,trans.,ecu,and harness wasnt much left of the car but it only has 27K and some change on the entire car. So honestly I dont know what to do now as i dont have that much set aside. As well as im not sure if i want to spend the $$ on this driveline. What do you guys think????