HybridZ

Balancer Removal Tool?

cygnusx1

Does anyone know of a low profile balancer removal tool that will work without removing the radiator in an L28 S30? I need to change my front seal and I know that the damper is not coming off without a fight. I dont want to take out the e-fan/radiator/intercooler/oil cooler/AC condenser!!!! to get access to the pulley.

There is about 2.25" of room in front of the pulley. Is the pulley tapped for puller bolts?

Does anyone know of a low profile balancer removal tool that will work without removing the radiator in an L28 S30? I need to change my front seal and I know that the damper is not coming off without a fight. I dont want to take out the e-fan/radiator/intercooler/oil cooler/AC condenser!!!! to get access to the pulley.

There is about 2.25" of room in front of the pulley. Is the pulley tapped for puller bolts?

You can junk the whole motor and get a V8.....:-)

Son of a biotch! I might as well pull the darn motor then. It is leaking a little so maybe I will just leave it alone for a year or two until I go for the big 60000 HP rebuild.

When the original pulley got cracked, it must have boogered up the seal. It also burred up the front of the crank a bit so it was hard drving on the new pulley. I doubt it will come off easily. Shooda Cooda Wooda changed the seal when it was off. :-(

Oh well, it's still fast. Just gotta watch the oil level.

WooohHooo! I took off the belts, the pulley bolt, and tapped lightly with a hammer and the pulley slid right off. The pulley had a crack in it which is why it was leaking. I don't think the key was sitting in there right when I put it on in the first place. That may be the whole cause of the problem. It's tough working in such a tight space with poor visibility. At least I didn't have to pull the motor or all the heat exchangers.

pop fizzzzzzzzz. (beer opens)

IM glad your ok, but for the life of me I don,t understand the reluctance to pulling the radiator or engine, either one or both are AT MOST a long three day weekend and SHOULD BE only between an hour or two, up to one long day, depending on whats involved and the tools and skills brought to bear on the job, surely a few hours to a full three day long job is worth the effort vs potentially blowing an engine due to low oil levels???

Well, yah see, wife is on four months of bed rest due to pregnancy, soooooo, me has to do all the cooking, cleaning, yardwork, interior housework, car maintenance, income gathering, and whatever else....ok enough bitchin'.

Pulling the turbo motor involves ALOT of plumbing, and ALOT of things that are very hard to reach. I really dont have a helper either. So it is a blessing in disguise that the pulley came off easy. One glance down the drivers side of my engine and you would see how much crap there is to wrestle with. I do have A/C and FOUR heat exchangers up front of the electric fan. I also work without airtools and no lift.

For ONCE I would like to see one of those shows on TV build a car like mine with a table vise, hacksaw, hammer, hand file, and hand drill...like I did.

Sorry if I sound defensive....

Well, yah see, wife is on four months of bed rest due to pregnancy, soooooo, me has to do all the cooking, cleaning, yardwork, interior housework, car maintenance, income gathering, and whatever else....ok enough bitchin'.

Pulling the turbo motor involves ALOT of plumbing, and ALOT of things that are very hard to reach. I really dont have a helper either. So it is a blessing in disguise that the pulley came off easy. One glance down the drivers side of my engine and you would see how much crap there is to wrestle with. I do have A/C and FOUR heat exchangers up front of the electric fan. I also work without airtools and no lift.

For ONCE I would like to see one of those shows on TV build a car like mine with a table vise, hacksaw, hammer, hand file, and hand drill...like I did.

Sorry if I sound defensive....

should we call you mr. mom? :-D

Right on cygnusx1... I just pulled my motor to change out some difficult to reach freeze plugs, rent an engine crane, car on jack stands (no lift) it's no small task, not a huge task but not a trivial thing either. And mine is not a turbo and only has one radiator. Family comes first... congrats on being a new dad!