HybridZ

attn: Seattle-ites

veritech-z

So is there anything exciting to do in the Seattle area besides driving to Oregon to hang out with BRAAP and RonTyler and do smoky burnouts on each other's lawns? I'll likely be going there for a weekend in early November with my wife, since she'll be on some kind of job training for two weeks, and I was just curious if anybody had anything to recommend. We like the usual stuff, like shows and museums and underground fight clubs. (well, not the fight clubs, not since the "accident" anyway). Are there whales there that time of year ?

Seattle has a pretty cool touristy trap area (Pike's Place Market) down on the docks. Lots of neat little stores to walk through and some good restaurants including the original Starbucks. If you look hard you may find a bargain on something but generally it will cost you a small fortune in any of the nice restaurants. The monorail is pretty much worthless. It runs from a shopping mall to the old worlds fair area where there really isn't anything going on this time of year. I suppose your wife could shop in the mall and then you could ride the monorail to the Starbucks in the fair area for a cup of coffee and then ride back. Might be some whale watching boats going out but I'm not too sure. Might check out the activities center at UW. They may have a football game while you're there. You might try this website for more information. http://www.seeseattle.org/

Seattle has a lot of really neat stuff. There is the Music Experience the restaurant on the top of the space needle, Tours of the Lady Washington, (Tall Ship) sports (Mariners, Sea Hawks, and Sonics) Boeing's museum of flight, and Underground Seattle. If you like movies, there is an Imax, and Cinerama. And if you are there at the right time, there is thunderboat racing. The whales ar in the sound all year I think. Basically if you can't entertain yourself in seattle, you must be dead.

There is also the pacific science center. Early Nov kinda sucks, its between ski season and boating/racing/anything outdoor season.

There is a pretty active club scene in pioneer square (down town)

We also have two WHL (western hockey league) hockey teams, one or the other should be in town. One is in seattle, and the other about 45 min north in Everett.

If I think of anything else ill post it up. I havent really done the touristy things here before.

• Administrators

V,

If you want to make the trip down to Oregon... We'll put you up, do some foggies, and take you flying through the Columbia Gorge, around Mt. Hood, let you look down the throat of Mt St. Helens, etc, etc. You can even bring your Wife :-)... Happy Anniversary, BTW!

Thanks Ron! That IS a nice picture! I don't know what the weekend will be like, about how far are you guys from Seattle? Also, when you say "flying", are we talking about an ACTUAL flying machine, or is this something you cooked up in the garage out of a few vacuum cleaners and a shopping cart?

• Administrators
Thanks Ron! That IS a nice picture! I don't know what the weekend will be like, about how far are you guys from Seattle?

We're about 110 miles south, as the crow flies. Email me... rontyler@hughes.net

Also, when you say "flying", are we talking about an ACTUAL flying machine, or is this something you cooked up in the garage out of a few vacuum cleaners and a shopping cart?

Is that a problem???? :-)

OK seriously, I'm talking about a certified aircraft. The certificate will even be 'in view' as required by law. Feel better? :-)

I'll have to let you know after I talk with my wife about it, but I'd love to hang out with you guys! We aren't 100% sure we're going yet. She's in the process of getting a new job, and if she does, she'll have to go to a 2 week training program in Seattle starting October 30th. I'll keep you posted.

Pick up a copy of The Stranger when you get into town. It's a free newspaper you can find at any hip restaurant or store. Then look for a band that you like and go see them. I don't know what its like in FL, but when I used to go to concerts in LA it was a bunch of idiots who were too reserved or too embarrassed to have any fun, they (WE) all just stood there quietly and watched a band play a set with only a golf clap in between songs. In Seattle it's a much different scene. Shows are fun to go to here.

Also keep in mind its bound to be between 40 and 50 degrees here around that time, raining probably most if not the whole time, and it will get light about 8:00 and dark around 4:45. Even when it's light out, its pretty dark. Sounds like fun, huh? Yeah, there is a lot to do here, it just kinda sucks doing it in the cold/wet/dark (IMO). Gotta get out of this ****hole.

Other than that it's kind of an expensive place to have a good time especially that time of year, so bring $$$. It's too damn cold and wet and dark to hang out at Gasworks Park in November, so you're likely going to be in a restaurant, a bar, a museum, you know, indoors somewhere where they're bound to charge you admission.

The Bodies exhibit is in town, and will be while you are here. I'm probably going to go this weekend. That's just too cool not to see. http://www.museumtix.com/venue/program.asp?vid=678&pid=178008

• Administrators
Even when it's light out, its pretty dark. Sounds like fun, huh? Yeah, there is a lot to do here, it just kinda sucks doing it in the cold/wet/dark (IMO). Gotta get out of this ****hole.

LOL!

Yea, Pioneer square is a great place to check out bands, or any other kind of club - there are 9 there, all within a few blocks, and only 2 are rock clubs.

The Central is a pretty cool place, played there a couple of times, lots of history from AIC to Mother Love Bone - check out the walls.

There's always seeing a Seahawks game too, it's not far from Pioneer Square. Also the Space Needle downtown.

The weather sucks a lot of the time, yea, but sometimes ya get lucky and it's semi-clear! For contrast Portland would be a crapshoot, it's never just cloudy or sunny, so going down to hang in OR might be cool, it's a beautiful area. Even under clouds!!

Going to concerts here is nothing like what you described, or at least it wasn't when I was in the habit of going to shows. We've got a big punk scene here, and in the mid 90's we were known as the Death Metal capitol of the world, a title you don't come by without a local scene to support it. Cannibal Corpse is from here (non-metalheads might know them as the band at the club in Ace Ventura), Marilyn Manson is from Ft. Lauderdale, Limp Bizkit is from Gainesville...the list goes on. That wasn't really my scene, I was more into punk, but we had a lot of fun shows come through back in the old days. My wife is more of a hip-hop/contemporary rock kinda chick, so I don't know if we'd be able to find a concert we'd both enjoy. The bodies exhibit was here for about 6 months, and it was totally worth every penny! Be sure and check out the 30lb cancer lump that they took out of a guy's stomach that was growing it's own eye and teeth and hair. Something else you'll probably notice is that almost EVERY body there came from a smoker. Look for it, and you'll see why I say that. Here, at the end, they let you hold an actual plasticized brain, I don't know if that is still going on at the other stops or not. For some reason though, looking at the muscle made me think of smoked turkey leg like you get at a theme park.

Washington State is the home of Bigfoot, right? Are there any cheesy sideshow things that I could drag my wife to? I always make her go into those at the state fair, I'm determined to instill a sense of whimsy into her if it's the last thing I do (the rate I'm going, it may BE the last thing I do..)

well, depending on the weather and how much time you want to spend, you can always just drive the scenic routes around there. I know there's an awesome road (highway 9?) going up to mt Baker, which has some fun twisties and incredible views no matter what time of the year.

you could also drive I-90 through the pass which usually has some pretty incredible scenery too.

if you wanted to venture the 90 minutes up to bellingham i could tell you a ton of more drives/scenic areas to check out.

thats really my only advice....there's a lot to do in seattle/NW washington, but you're missing out if you don't check out the beautiful scenery we've got here.

• 3 weeks later...

Well I moved to Tacoma on September 24 2006 so far on the weekend I have; Visited the water front I thought it was ok my mother loved it, the view form Mount Rainier is great if the weather is clear, the best part of the Mount Saint Helens view points was the drive “first mountain roads I had drivenâ€. I stopped by the LeMay auto museum http://www.lemaymuseum.org/ it was worth the price.

Have Fun!

Tacoma? You poor soul...

Jons words are right on hit. Dark, damp, cool. Of the four years I "spent" there, there was acually one year where the forth of july fireworks actually were set off. The cloud ceiling rose above 500 feet so one could actually see them. There was also one year where I waited for the one month of sun, only had two weeks. It sucked to wait so long for a summer that never really happened.

But I was in the music scene for a number of years and I can attest that there are a lot of bands and venues. I played most of them. Even the garlic fest. Thats a must see. Think it has past already. The Darrington classic rock fest. Opps that has played already. Thats right, Seattle is closed now! just kidding! Yep pick up the Stranger and you will find plenty to do there. The town is famous for indoor activity.

In Seattle all this week (first time) for a conference. Gotta say, this city is really beautiful and clean. I hope you like seafood! Ate at Elliott's down on the waterfront this evening -- absolutely fantastic.

Still trying to find something wrong with Seattle, and Ive been here since Sunday afternoon. Granted it hasnt rained yet...

- Greg -