HybridZ

how to turbocharged 2 stroke ????

warrenp

Guest camaroboy383

ya i thought about that pressure equalization on the slides makes plenty of sense,,,im just gonna put a couple pressure ports in the slide caps,,,springs, i defenitly planned on putting two everywhere...as far as clutching i figured what was in there wasn't going to do what i need...also i was going to go up 2 teeth on the top sprocket to put some more load on the engine....my buddies father is a clutching master so he said he would take care of me on that end...who exactly sells those power jets???i think im more intereested in those than the fogger nozzles.....as far as egt's ive been looking for a set,,,,my pipes already have the bung's in them for the temp senders,so i figured why not..... i have a question for you though,,,,,did he ever have any problem with the carb feed lines pushing fuel back through the pump on boost?????this is one of the things that has haunted me for like three days.....

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No fuel reversion problems that I am aware of. I don't think it can. I believe there is an internal check valve. not to mention the needle and seat. IF the lines are open than fuel is being introduced to the float bowl. If it is closed no fuel can go through the needle seat area. There are a few power jet disigns out there, but the Jack harris ones are the best. Especially for turbo apps. There is a contact number at the top right hand side of the instructions sheet posted above.

Guest camaroboy383

i was just wondering if the pressure in the bowl from turboing would hydrolock the flow because the pressure is greater in the bowl than the pressure in the line that the pump can produce....im not actually worried about the fuel reversing just worried about it stopping the flow....im gonna give harris a call and see what they need for a twin set up,,,seems like the way to go.....ohh ya he ever mention how much timing he had to pull to run detonation free,,,,,obviosly every psi change will want a different timing curve but did he say anything about base timing or anything??????

Do you have a fuel pressure regulator? I know that he uses one, maybe a rising rate one?? I haven't talked to him in about a year, or seen his sled in that long. I bet it is a rising rate fuel pressure regulator. You could use one, and set it to keep about 3 psi or so above boost pressure to keep adequate fuel. As for timing, it varys greatly from engine to engine, I am not sure how much yours has at what rpm's. I think he left his stock. I know he runs race fuel through it, and always has a few 55 gallon drums of it at his shop.

Guest camaroboy383

yes im using a fuel pressure regulator that spikes on boost/rising rate....that was one of the first things i thought about....plus my electric pump puts out like 45 psi so i had to regulate it you know....cam 2 was also in my mind, i figured i would run it all the time just to decrease the chance of detonation....i have a camaro with a wieand supercharger and a 200 shot of nos on it and ive learned alot about charging from it,,,as far as detonation,,,fuel management,,,ect...ive been building engines all my life from model engines to big blocks,,,,,i do a considerable amount of restorations,,,and body work/autobody painting.....but ill be the first to admit that i dont know much about turbo's,,,i know basic principles and and configurations but it is a whole new world to me....i appriciate the time youve spent talking to me about this.....id be lost with out the extra info......im sure ill have a couple more questions for you soon.....

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed there seems to be a little bit of confusion about reed valves and what they actualy are meant to do. First off 2 strokes can run without reed valves, they did it for years all the way up into the early 80's. Most snowmobiles and dirtbikes didn't have reed valves until then. The reason for reed valves is to narrow the intake passage to increase intake velocity at low rpm, which helps bottom end torque. They were not primarily designed to stop airflow from reverting back through the intake. I'm sure with modern porting especialy aftermarket port jobs, the reed valves may actually stop some reversion, but if it wasn't for the higher intake velocity given by the reed valves, a highly agressively ported 2 stroke engine would be very sluggish and would most likely just fall on it's face as soon as the throttle was opened. just my .02