HybridZ

Converter worked

Hey folks...for those of you at SEZ 7, you know my hotrod couldn't get off the line because I had installed a 2200 stall street converter so mama could drive it....Best I could muster was a 11.20/126 in the quarter and 7.27/102 in the eighth...w-e-e-e-l-l-l-l, talked to mama and we installed a TCI 3800 stall converter...Yeee-haw! Just got back from our eighth mile track (drove the car to and from-about 30 miles) and ran a best of 6.90/103 on the DOT's...to top that off, I got sucked into the Friday night street race because the car is registered, insured, runs through the mufflers and on DOT tires and actually won the race! Go figger! Pretty cool for a car that isn't sorted out yet. Had a lot of fun though....and suprised a lot of folks also.

Wayne

Geez, Doc....NOW you tell me...:o)

Many thanks John...mama made me promise not to put giggle juice on it, so I'm about as fast as I'm going to get...it is deadly consistent (the car, not the driver, ..I need some work) Ran 7 runs within a hundreth. I was trying to watch your last videos, but was having trouble making them work...but sure looked like you had it figured out. Sure hope to be there in March...be great to see the gang again.

Not to worry Dustin, I'm corrected every time I say I have a 454 SBC...I have to steer them to the Bill Mitchell web site...maybe I should ask for a kick-back???? :o)

rytherwr

(and or anyone else whos done the converter swap, please chip in here)

I have tried unsuccessfully in the past but perhaps you could do it better,could you please attemp to describe the differance in the driving impression or feel the high stall 3500rpm,converter made VS the stock 2200rpm converter in normal street low rpm driving, and then seperately how it works at the track differantly, there seems to be the myth that a 3500rpm stall converter won,t move the car under light loads at anything less than 3500rpm (WITH A 3500 RPM CONVERTER) I really don,t understand how people think like that since a stock converter stalling at lets say 1800-2200 moves the car just fine at 1200rpm, but perhaps you can add some input here

IME you will notice a generally higher rpm to move the car under part throttle. With my converters, 4K and 4.5K about 2000 rpm generally under part throttle conditions as opposed to stock 1200 or so in the 3800lb monte and the z. The z maybe 1700 rpm or so.

About half throttle bursts will stall mine about 2800 to 3000 but then your already moving faster than about anything on the road as it is and can wax almost any car at that throttle. Exhaust noise is louder than most modified vehicles at that level in my cars so that's about my limit on the street.

I only ever see max stall at WOT from a dead stop or on the trans brake.

In the z the PG is a very easy to drive trans on the street. The z is soo light that it's relly not a hassle at all and pleasant to drive unless you like shifting gears. In the z I can take off in high gear and run a 10.80 instead of a 10.40 here at altitude, so that ought to tell you something. Well, something besides me forgetting to put it in low after the burnout!

Wayne I have posted some of the videos on www.streetfire.net, just search for jnjdragracing and it should pull up some videos.

John

Geez, Doc....NOW you tell me...:o)

Many thanks John...mama made me promise not to put giggle juice on it, so I'm about as fast as I'm going to get...it is deadly consistent (the car, not the driver, ..I need some work) Ran 7 runs within a hundreth. I was trying to watch your last videos, but was having trouble making them work...but sure looked like you had it figured out. Sure hope to be there in March...be great to see the gang again.

Not to worry Dustin, I'm corrected every time I say I have a 454 SBC...I have to steer them to the Bill Mitchell web site...maybe I should ask for a kick-back???? :o)

Hey, John...thank you...awesome!!! Mighty stealthy, though...I was trying my best to catch you or Jerry saying what the times were, but didn't hear anything...h-m-m-m-m..could this be a Zebra car thingy? :o)

Grumpy,

First, thanks for all your input...although I don't post a lot, I follow your input to folks' questions pretty closely. I have been playing around with hot rod stuff for a long time and my experience mirrors pretty much the advice you provide and it's great to know that there are folks here who are willing to pass on what they empirically know.

There, now that I am done sucking up, I will try in my inadequate way to describe the different feel of the old vs new converter. As the Doc says...the difference under part throttle is that it takes a little more rpm to get the car started moving than a stock converter. Mine would feel different than his as I am running a 4l80e with much more internal mass to move than a PG..hence the difference in feel. However, I digress...I will just compare the apples-to-apples of my particular feel after the swap in my hotrod. My engine was bogging in with the stock converter when I put on the brakes...doesn't do it now with the converter more free...idles well and keeps me from having to put a brake vacuum canister on it. So...on the street at low rpm, you essentially just need a little more rpm to get you moving...certainly not 3500, more like around 1600 to 1800 or so in my case, depending on how fast I want to move the car. Once moving and everything starts spinning at the same speed, can't tell a difference under steady-throttle cruising...however, if you have matched the converter to flash into your power band, watch out!!!..your in for a ride. :o) Folks need to understand that the particular total package they have will dictate how the car will react to differences in torque converter stall speed, engine torque output being one of the many factors.

On the track, or under full throttle conditions on the street (only when I have to get up those steep on-ramps of course), the difference is dramatic! With the 2200 stall converter, I would leave the line and mope up to about 4500 rpm in around 100 feet...no 60 ft time at all...once I got in to my power band (tq...not hp...around 4500 or so), it took off like a raped ape. You could tell what the problem was when I was running 1.8 60 ft times, 11.20 but almost 127 mph...I was losing it at the line. Enter the 3500 stall converter....with my engine, it flashes to around 4300-4500 depending on how high I brake stall it (so far, around 2800-3100 rpm), and puts me right in my tq band...takes off great...totally different feel as it pulls hard right from the start. Still, under part throttle...the same conditions apply as in the paragraph above.

Hope this was of some assistance and at least remotely understandable. If not, please run the questions and I will to describe better.

Wayne

If you would like it to leave a little harder with the converter that you are using now, don't bring it up on the foot brake .

depending on how high I brake stall it (so far, around 2800-3100 rpm),

Come up to the line at an idle and then matt it. It will flash higher and hit the tires harder. Better 60ft. times and et's. :-) ...

I have a 3500rpm 9.5" converter that was specifically built for my Z by Edge racing converters in california, it flashes to 3800-4000 rpm's. I can drive around town easily if I keep my foot out of it...LOL.

You just get used to driving with it. I leave the line just of idle as JapTin says "I just hammer it". On motor with M/T drag radials 235/60-15 it will pull high 1.40's to low 1.50's for 60 ft's.

Car has an 11 to 1 385 sbc that runs 6.80 at 102 and 10.80 at 125. I just added a NOS big shot wet system so lets hope it holds together going down the track!

Good luck with the new converter and enjoy!

Mike