HybridZ

ZX RHD/LHD steering question

might be a stupid question.. but just wanna be sure... and i tried searching, but didnt find any answers..

on a 280zx rack n pinion steering (manual or power), are they all the same, whether it be right hand drive or left hand drive? i mean, will a rack from a right hand drive fit a left hand drive by just flipping it around? and how about the crossmembers..?

thanks in advance.

It will work if you flip the rack and move it to the opposite side of the X-member... I.E., 240 has rack mounted on the front of X-member. If you flip the rack and move to the rear of the X-member it can be used in RHD application, although it would not be the same as a JDM vehicle.

I am using a 240 rack in my 510, that has been flipped and mounted on the rear of the X-member. Steering arms have been swapped side to side. Steering arms may need to be heated and bent to maintain the desired ackerman.

I've never seen a ZX rack but the 240 rack can be dissassembled and reassembled to make it RHD just by rearranging the parts. Maybe the ZX rack is the same way?

How do you reverse the rack? the pinion needs to be under the rack, but when the whole assembly is turned over, the pinion is on top which reverses the steering so when you turn the steering wheel right the rack goes left?

You dont just flip the thing over, that wouldn't work, like you said. You have to dissassemble the rack and rearrange the parts, internal and external. Then reassemble them with the steering input on the right side. I haven't done it but I know it can be done. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure chelle, the one with the V12 250gto, has done it.

You have a RHD ZX in Manila?

oh, no.. my ZX is LHD and it has a recirculating ball type steering. i wanna do the rack n pinion steering conversion, and i think it would be more practical to source out the parts from australia or japan. but unfortunately, cars in japan and australia are RHD...

oh, no.. my ZX is LHD and it has a recirculating ball type steering. i wanna do the rack n pinion steering conversion, and i think it would be more practical to source out the parts from australia or japan. but unfortunately, cars in japan and australia are RHD...

Oh, ok. If you have relatives here in the States you could probably save money by having then bring it to you when they go home or if it fits in a Balikbayan box it will take a month to ship there. Either way i think the shipping is going to be expensive. Good Luck

Oh, ok. If you have relatives here in the States you could probably save money by having then bring it to you when they go home or if it fits in a Balikbayan box it will take a month to ship there. Either way i think the shipping is going to be expensive. Good Luck

yah, a steering rack assy w/ the crossmember is rather heavy and shipping it halfway round the world would be very expensive (and customs here is kinda screwed up). plus im worried bout getting a bad rack or crossmember. im not sure if my relatives would be able to check them for me..

balikbayan box..? kababayan..? hehe!

I'd offer you my parts for cheap but I too have recirculating ball, sorry.
thanks for the offer Chewievette. too bad we bother have the steering box.. but it wouldve been nice though. but as mentioned earlier, shipping's gonna be a PITA.

I'll check the local junkyard next time I go, if you want. I want to help you out with this, I hate to see Zs go bad and not be fixed.

that'll be great!! i would really appreciate that! PM or email me if you find anything. maybe we can work something out.

Z/ZX parts here are close to non-existent...

there was this old 280ZX turbo at my friend's house. t'was for sale for around P120,000 (roughly round USD 2,400). too expensive for a donor car. all i wanted was the steering assy and the engine (most probably ECU's bad). it wasnt running, but the whole car was intact (alot of rust tho). the owner asked my friend to get it fixed.

few weeks ago, passed by his place and it wasn't there anymore. the owner decided to have it scrapped for P12,000 (USD 240)!!!

it broke my heart hehe!