HybridZ

280sx?!?!?! Can it be done?

Phyxius

Wow you guys are amazing, i dont really know why someone will prefer the L28T over an SR20 or something the cost is about the same and there is a hell lot of parts for the SR20.

But one of a kind swap is allways good, "correction" 2 of a kind now. LOL!!!

It is weird to run an early 80's engine in an early 90's car. But the L28et is cheap and easy to repair and maintain. My L28ET was almost free. Bought a running turbo parts car for $500, used the engine as is, sold almost $500 worth of extra parts from the car. SR20DET are not that cheap. not even close. But it is a 'better' engine in its design, technology, and potential power output. The Megasquirt engine management will definitely help update the L28ET. The L28 is also a lot heavier than an SR20DET.

Interesting swap though.

I guess I'm not the first to think of it then.. oh well. :) (old school engine in a newer car) I was considering using my 280z's engine (rebuild last year, big cam, runs strong) in an 85 RX7.. I happen to have one in my back yard set up for a V8... alas, it sits with NO motor whatsoever, and I don't have much $$$ to play with.. I DO however have a welder, and a good running 280z that needs brakes, suspension, front frame work, and a clunking rear end.. :icon8:

The line of thinking here is that I want to jam the 454 in the Z, and that will take a bit of time to finance and do properly so I'll need transportation for next summer. Also, If I'm gona pull the 1 tonne's 454 (the current daily driver) I'd have 3 vehicles all immobilized.. Hmm.. time to re-organize the garage I think...

• 7 months later...
Guest karter04

I think i'm going to do a bit more radical design on electronics than megasquirt. probably convert to 300zxtt electronics so i can get rid of that distributor. (clearance problems so far cuz i can't find a r32 xmember) I have just about everything ready to go for the swap aside of the oil pan and the motor mounts.

Guest karter04

If i don't get the cross member i'm probably going to just build a custom oil pan the whole way and re-route the oil pick up to the other hole.