HybridZ

z31 engine swap. VG30DETT? RB26DETT?

Guest Mark300zxTurbo

Guest Mark300zxTurbo

what up, this is my first post. so I guess I gotta introduce myself. my name is Mark, I live in Yukon, Oklahoma. and I have a 1986 300zx Turbo. my engine is good, but I have a automatic transmission thats pretty messed up, it still drives fine, but I have no reverse, or overdrive. i'm pretty sure it needs a new torque converter and valve body also. so I think i'm gonna just swap my engine and tranny for a VG30DETT with 5 speed transmission. I found a set up for $1500. it includes:

• Motor (with turbos)
  • Transmission (5sp)
  • Uncut Wiring Harness
  • All required Cables
  • ECU
  • Cam angle sensor (CAS)
  • Complete Intake Manifold
  • Alternator
  • A/C (not gonna use)
  • Power Steering Pump
  • All Brackets and Sensors
  • Shiftlinkage

now what I need to know is if anyone has any information on what I need for this swap, and just what you think about it I guess. I also found a RB26DETT with tranny and everything for $3,000. but I don't know if its worth that much more. thanks.

-Peace

RB26 won't fit.. sorry bro. Steering column barely clears the 25, much less a 26. I have maybe a 1/2" clearance and I think Racin' has a 1/4" clearance with his, so that should give you an idea of how little room there is.

IMO, you should either do an RB swap or do something completely different. Like I would love to see an AWD Z31.. maybe a Subaru motor/setup?

If you're looking cheap, go V8. If you're looking easy, go factory motor. All else break out the wallet and the Tylenol.

a vg30dett will not fit in a z31 without huge modifications, i have only seen one in a z31 and it was a non turbo motor. Build the vg30et, they have been proven time and time again to be good for over 400 hp, jason84na2t is making almost 500 ft/lbs. take a look at his site redz31.com

This RB26 fit.

p1010034ie6.jpg

Your vg30 with a little more boost will make about as much power as the other 2 at there stock levels. I would only consider the vg30dett or rb26 if you want alot more power and are willing to spend the money ( larger turbo/turbos, fuel, ecu, ect) to make it happen.