HybridZ

Frame Rail Question

Guest Crispy Chicken

Thank you Derek and Jeff!

Today I decided not to overthink this, so I did anyway.

It was pretty easy. I just carefully cut two windows in the side of the tube, dropped in the angle iron, and easily welded in. I have to get the 3" plate stock for the botton. This should be stout enough. I just needed to overcome the fear of freaking this up. I have been overly cautious of getting the stuff lined up right. I wish my camera was better. You would not believe how I have been staking out the locations for everything. Sometimes this stuff is too abstract. I dare not venture into the world of redesign. I feel a bit queasy just trying to get it back to stock, forging ahead anyway, as slow as I can. I hope that this isn't a long term sickness.

site1083.jpg

Thank you Derek and Jeff!

Today I decided not to overthink this, so I did anyway.

It was pretty easy. I just carefully cut two windows in the side of the tube, dropped in the angle iron, and easily welded in. I have to get the 3" plate stock for the botton. This should be stout enough. I just needed to overcome the fear of freaking this up. I have been overly cautious of getting the stuff lined up right. I wish my camera was better. You would not believe how I have been staking out the locations for everything. Sometimes this stuff is too abstract. I dare not venture into the world of redesign. I feel a bit queasy just trying to get it back to stock, forging ahead anyway, as slow as I can. I hope that this isn't a long term sickness.

site1083.jpg

that looks like a nice setup, but is the bolt where the factory clamp bolts up to going to have a half spacer or something to level it off with the inside of the angle iron insets?

because the plate underneath would be subject to a lower mounting height, due to the thickness of the tube frame in which you put the angles in. wouldnt that make it hard for the bolts to sit right if they go through both layers of metal?

or is there something im missing. perhaps you're cutting the entire size of the plate, and making it flush with the inner wall of the frame rail? i suppose that would work, and they would tie into the angle plates.

that looks like a nice setup, but is the bolt where the factory clamp bolts up to going to have a half spacer or something to level it off with the inside of the angle iron insets?

because the plate underneath would be subject to a lower mounting height, due to the thickness of the tube frame in which you put the angles in. wouldnt that make it hard for the bolts to sit right if they go through both layers of metal?

or is there something im missing. perhaps you're cutting the entire size of the plate, and making it flush with the inner wall of the frame rail? i suppose that would work, and they would tie into the angle plates.

Ahh yes,

I guess I would figure that out when trying to bolt it back in! Sure would be easy for me to cut a spacer out of .083 that lays under the factory clamp.

Thanks

Jon

Ahh yes,

I guess I would figure that out when trying to bolt it back in! Sure would be easy for me to cut a spacer out of .083 that lays under the factory clamp.

Thanks

Jon

heheh, that would work too, and be much easier. =)

BTW, what do you guys use to cut metal stock like this?

To cut the 2-1/2" tube to length I used a 14" chop off saw. To cut in the "windows" to drop the angle stock into I used the cut off saw to make the vertical cuts and an angle grinder with a cut off wheel to make the horizontal cuts.

My good friend, VinhZXT helped me on Saturday making the rails and getting the car ready for the install. He even gave me the 3" x 10" x 3/16" stock that we used for the engine crossmember plate, we welded under the rails. That stock we cut on his metal band saw, a very nice tool to have.

Next step is deciding on how the TC pockets will be fitted up. Since the stock rail has a graceful curve where the pockets were welded in, verses the new "dead level" rails, I am not settled with what to do, yet. I would like to keep the stock TC rods. So I need to figure out whether or not I have the nerve to make new pokets like Crispy Chicken (Crispy Chicken Pockets, Like Jim Gaffigan ?) or recycle the old ones. The math, measuring, and fixation of stress has me concerned. I worry about whether I am going to snap a TC rod or break a weld.